How to use castor oil??

GoldenMotor.com

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I have read a little about the use of castor oil in the mix, I think I like the smell of burned castor oil, reminds me of the small airplane engines I used to run on my models. How would I mix it to be useful in the gas oil mix?.... could I use it instead of regular 2 stroke synthetic or in combination with it?... what are the benefits of using castor oil?....

thanks.

hill climber

Sep 11, 2008
paso robles, california
you can buy synthetic/castor oil blends. i blend my own, about 50/50 with the honda synthetic 2-stroke and the maxima927 castor, both available at local motorcycle shops. i read somewhere that as the castor burned up it was still a dry lubricant, espesialy at extreme tempuratures such as in the ht motors. i dont know maybe i just like the smell of burning castor too. HEY!! DO A WHEELIE! hill climber

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
I have some 100% pure castor oil from the health food store, could I use that in a 50/50 mix or just add a half ounce or so for the smell effect?

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Don't run it straight. Blending with synthetic oil is fine. Figure out what ratio you want to run over all and then back into it with a small amount of castor.

FOR EXAMPLE: If you decide on 32:1 overall. This is 4 oz to make up the gallon (128 oz) of gas. Use .5 oz castor and 3.5 oz synthetic oil.

I would say whatever blend you decide on, keep the castor less that 1 oz per gallon in your blend or you will foul your plug and build up crud.

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
Castor oil mixes well with the white lightning fuel, that being Cohlman lamp fuel. My friends over at the local air strip sware by it in their weed eaters as well. Nothing but clean vapours and no blue trails.:ride2:

Maximo

Revorunner

Sep 8, 2008
Castor oil mixes well with the white lightning fuel, that being Cohlman lamp fuel. My friends over at the local air strip sware by it in their weed eaters as well. Nothing but clean vapours and no blue trails.:ride2:

Maximo
Yep,

The guys at my local flying field have been using it in their R/C planes for years.(^)(^)

rcjunkie

Sep 6, 2008
I would use 20% castor/80% synthetic if you use 32:1 to 50:1 oil ratios.

If you are running 16:1 to 32:1 oil ratios, then I would max out at 10% castor/90% synthetic.

I'm a model airplaner too and know that it only takes a little bit of castor to fortify synthetic oil.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
I know its an old thread laugh all you want,,hahaha,,just want to add my opinion.
Castor oil from walmart or the pharmacy will work fine,,it doesn't have to be degummed cause the HT motors don't have any reeds or power valves,,might just want to take the head off once a year and give it a good scrubbin.

Enjoy your castor smellin..

Regaurds

Tom :)

Over 35 years of castor smellin here..good times:)

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
You are better off getting a gallon of it from any model airplane hobby shop. Its reasonably price, doesn't have sugar added to it for flavor, and is pure first press degummed castor intended to be used in an engine.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
The brand I have used with great results if you dont want to buy a whole gallon is Humco at walmart $2.69 6 oz.,,it oderless and tasteless with no added sugar for flavor,it mixes with gasoline very good,,if Im making up a batch for my new weed eater,chainsaw,or blower for a 32:1 ratio I will add 3oz.of my favorite 2 cycle dino oil,,then 1oz.of castor,,that should get you a real nice smell and for break in on my first china girl I used 5 oz.dino oil 3oz.castor for my first tank and that motor runs stronger than my other two builds that only used dino oil on.
I will continue to use castor,,especially for break ins on cheap non reed motors.

Klotzs Benol is good stuff if you want the degummed racing oil,,very pricey though...

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Sig Castor oil from hobby shop abotu $21/gallon. Lasts me a long time and I used it in weedwackers, leave vac, auger, snowmobile (never had problem with it falling out of suspension at low ratios) etc.....

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Found out the Humco walmart stuff is degummed,,so i went out and bought 2 more bottles of it,,gonna run some straight in the china girl this Summer and see what happens,,Ill take it apart at the end of the season if it makes it that far and take pics of the build up from 32:1 castor from walmart.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
...gonna run some straight in the china girl this Summer and see what happens,,Ill take it apart at the end of the season if it makes it that far and take pics of the build up from 32:1 castor from walmart.
So how is the china girl doing with plain old castor oil? How does it ride (and smell?)

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Since this was bumped: I have been running a 20/80 hobby-store castor/ACE Hardware Ashless 2-stroke on my engine since its birth. I started @ 25:1, and upped to 30:1 after I felt it break in. It's been running great although I eventually ran into trouble due to carbon-buildup and what appeared to be gumming of the rings. This "gumming" caused the rings to loose their springiness enough to negatively effect compression (quite suddenly I may add). I removed the piston to clean it and tried to get what I could of the buildup from out of the ring-channels with a file, but I simply could not get the rings to seat completely; the assembly was too big to get back in the cylinder. Fortunately, I had an extra piston/rings, so I have the old assembly soaking in gasoline. The new assembly returned the engine's performance, so I decided change the mix again...I'm now running the same castor ratio, but at 50:1. I've noticed increased power, and the spark-plug went from a dark-brown to a true cocoa-color, like Chocolate Quick (an American chocolate-milk powder). Oddly, I've also noticed a decrease in operating temperature. I plan on picking up some Dawn Spot Remover (I think that's the stuff that removes carbon well) to completely recover my original piston assembly, but it's good to know that my sudden power-drop was easily and logically resolvable. As for castor in general: I highly recommend it. Although there's the carbon to deal with, it's kept all the moving parts (that haven't been coated in carbon) lovely and mirrored.