Back wheel assembly

GoldenMotor.com

Brokenbonze

Jan 8, 2013
California
Hi, I bought a motorized beach cruiser , 4 stroke, gas only from ez cruiser in Dana point California . They suck! I can tell you stories about how bad this bike is falling apart with only about 25 miles on it.
Any way, I have a question for anyone, the bike back tire keeps going out of "true" , I have had it trued now a seconded time and the bike shop mech who I trust said that the spokes are 14 gauge , which is standard cheap beach cruiser, he said I need probably 10 gauge spokes to handle the torch from the motor and the rider weight. He is trying to find me a rim like that, this will cost at least 60+ dollars. Has anyone else had this problem? What type of rim should be used? Why do they use a rim they know will tweak, and be useless?:-||:-||

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
What kind of four stroke motor and transmission motor do you have?

And you definitely gotta step away from the rag joint set up. The clamp on to the spokes thing your probably have. you need an adapter that clamps on to the hub instead, pirates cycles and sportsman sell some.

And 14ga spokes on a motor bike is not enough, you at least need a 12ga spokes. You can find a beach cruiser wheel with steel rim and 12ga spokes easily for under 50 bucks

you can get a rear mtb wheel with a disk brake, you can mount sprockets in place of the the disk. Also a very good set up... I know Kings custom sprockets sells them.

The set up i have is a heavy duty break with a special adapter that threads onto the hub and is locked in place by a locking with a built in band brake.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=44267

And by the way Welcome to the forum!

P.s. were are you located in Cali ?

Brokenbonze

Jan 8, 2013
California
Irvine...I was riding it to uci were I work..freaking out the irvinites...thanks for the info...I'll start my research ...kind of sick of spending money..really didn't have the intention of going gear head...but I guess I have some work to do...thanks e..

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Yea research is important.
Just do some research, go parts hunting at flea markets, make friends with bicycle gear head
And you can get a strong rear wheel for cheap.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
My back wheel went a little out of true and I was told it was "bomb proof". Does that tell you what kinda horsepower my bike puts out?

It only cost a little over $200.......I think I need a new one! laff

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Dang dude! I heard you wrecked but I didn't know it was that bad, I could only imagine the damage to your frame.

Looks like you a nuke go off next to you.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Scotto,
Just soak it some hot water and lay a sheet of plywood on top of it with some weight. When it's dry it'll be good as new. :)

Tom

ken murphy

Sep 19, 2008
Hi, I bought a motorized beach cruiser , 4 stroke, gas only from ez cruiser in Dana point California . They suck! I can tell you stories about how bad this bike is falling apart with only about 25 miles on it.
Any way, I have a question for anyone, the bike back tire keeps going out of "true" , I have had it trued now a seconded time and the bike shop mech who I trust said that the spokes are 14 gauge , which is standard cheap beach cruiser, he said I need probably 10 gauge spokes to handle the torch from the motor and the rider weight. He is trying to find me a rim like that, this will cost at least 60+ dollars. Has anyone else had this problem? What type of rim should be used? Why do they use a rim they know will tweak, and be useless?:-||:-||
I don't know what kind of set up you have but if you weigh over 250# like me you better have a good back wheel set up.brnot

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
There was one time I heard of a rim bending like that pretzel shape, and the person was probably around 200 pounds. It was a non-motorized bike. I don't think anyone here had the same situation. Note that the wheel was assembled by the guy himself. The spokes were not tightened down very good. The wheel was really a not perfect in any way of true, but the brakes did not rub so bad that he could not ride it. It was said all of a sudden it just went, nothing other than normal riding. I saw the result and it looked like what the picture shows posted.

My 40:1 ratio 3hp Briggs I will see about trying to keep from making pretzels.

MT

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That rim had more than engine problems...looks like it was "trued" wrong. I saw a wheel do this once just from airing it up to 60psi. It simply exploded into a taco chip shape breaking a bunch of spokes as it bent once it got to 60 or so psi.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That rim had more than engine problems...looks like it was "trued" wrong. I saw a wheel do this once just from airing it up to 60psi. It simply exploded into a taco chip shape breaking a bunch of spokes as it bent once it got to 60 or so psi.
If you're referring to scotto's rim, his bike took off without him and ran into a wall. The bike in question has a 212cc engine with I believe 7 ft lbs of torque. That's about 3 to 4 times as much as an ht engine. I seriously doubt scotto, a man who's been racing and riding all his life, would put an improperly trued wheel on a bike with that kind of engine power. Anyone who would do something like that has bigger issues.