Noob in NE Ohio

GoldenMotor.com

magicpuma

Jun 23, 2012
Mahoning county, Ohio
I took my first ride on a motorized bike this year: a friend's $2000.00, electric bike, which I fixed for him. What a thrill, so fast for a bike! silent, wonderful! But why so expensive? I had been lurking around these forums for some time, but the ride on a friends bike made me want one.

I could see myself taking a long distance camping trip, or just getting around town. there is just something about a bike with a motor, I do love 2 wheels in general. I would need something with a gas motor for my purposes, but I could see myself with an electric too, and maybe a registered moped. I could probably build all three for the price of my friend's ride. He is always worried about losing charge too, so that seems impractical for all but very short rides.

Well, I hope to find other motorized bicyclists in the area and check out other MaBs. Planning a sub 50cc rear mount, maybe on my mountain bike.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Magic, welcome.

Yeppers, they are pretty alluring.

Might be of interest, a few folks did hybrids. E and engine driven.

magicpuma

Jun 23, 2012
Mahoning county, Ohio
Well, I went to garage sales and the pawn shops, nothing decent there. I checked craigslist, people want so much for beaten bikes locally. Why? New bikes don't cost as much as they used to.

I was hoping to get an older tough bike for putting an engine mounted up in the middle. I will have to post a picture of my mountain bike, it has stainless spokes at least, but giant tubes which I don't think will take a mid mount. That's why I was going to start with a rear mount.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ayup, never ending series of compromises Magic.

After a while ya end up with a pile of parts and stuff and can wake up thinking about some thing and ya have the parts to do it, sort of. End up making compromises, lol.

Really strange addiction for sure.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Youngstown? Warren? Beaver?

Try a rear mounted chainsaw engine running the clutch drum right on the rear tire. Make the mount with plywood, a door hinge and a spring.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I took my first ride on a motorized bike this year: a friend's $2000.00, electric bike, which I fixed for him. What a thrill, so fast for a bike! silent, wonderful! But why so expensive? I had been lurking around these forums for some time, but the ride on a friends bike made me want one.
One word: batteries.

The batteries are the single most expensive & important component of an ebike conversion, cheap out on the battery pack and you risk disappointment - insufficient range, excessive weight & frequent replacement.

They're the investment, getting the most out of any ebike means purchasing a pack with the most AH (amp hours) you can afford, preferably LiFePO4 for it's safety, longevity & comparatively low weight & smaller size.

I could see myself taking a long distance camping trip, or just getting around town. there is just something about a bike with a motor, I do love 2 wheels in general. I would need something with a gas motor for my purposes, but I could see myself with an electric too, and maybe a registered moped. I could probably build all three for the price of my friend's ride. He is always worried about losing charge too, so that seems impractical for all but very short rides.

Well, I hope to find other motorized bicyclists in the area and check out other MaBs. Planning a sub 50cc rear mount, maybe on my mountain bike.
All ebikers obsess over "charge" regardless of how much they actually have lol - maximizing range is the name of the game, it's very similar to gasbikers squeezing every last drop of preformance out of an ICE ;)

Much as I'm starting to love ebikes, for your "long distance" interests I will say that's still the domain of gasbikes as even were you to invest in the amount of batteries to get you to say the 100 mile mark, even with LiFePO4 it would become bulky & heavy to say the least, recharge times would be daunting and the cost... yea, well we'll just skip over that lol

For the daily commute & zipping about town? Now that's where an ebike comes into it's own... It's all about the right tool for the job tho, and what's "right" can only be decided by the rider heh

Welcome to the place magicpuma, can't wait to see what you come up with :D

magicpuma

Jun 23, 2012
Mahoning county, Ohio
I am in youngstown.

My friend says he has a broken electric bike or moped. Which I will see if I can fix. My lady wants an electric.

However, I stick by my thought that I really need a gas motor for long distance and cheapness. I won't turn down the broken bike though. Already looking at the heavy duty hinges, and I do have a nice Shindaiwa(43cc?) chainsaw I bought on sale. It would be a shame to chop it up though. I have a few large stainless sheetmetal scraps( from a sink cutout, heavy sheet maybe 16 ga.)

Leftover dishwasher parts are available. A small blower is apart for repair, its a ~26cc homelite, probably too small to pull me(about 210 lbs and a trailer).

That ebike was very stealth, I dont know why the police don't have em, silent and fast.
the batteries are still very expensive though.