A note of caution on the HF 212

GoldenMotor.com

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
This engine is a vibrator.
I just did a little search to see if anyone else has a shaker and someone on a mini-bike said the engine shakes a lot more than the blue 196cc clone.

The only smooth zone is idle to off idle.
I put a rubber pad under it and isolators below and it helped a lot but I am still annoyed.
My only experience with the 196 is on gokarts and they were fine.

I would avoid this engine. Look for the 196 unit instead. They are still available from different sources.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I have talked to a few people about this and what I have been told (for whatever it's worth) is that all these engines are basically the same and that one in five will vibrate like that. Luck of the draw if you get a smooth one or a rough one.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
What I was really getting at in the previous post was the fact that around here in small town Texas, no one cares how big an engine on a bike or anything else for that matter is, and yes it is a big Republic and many of us here are very proud of that just like everyone else is of their home state, we do tend to like things big around here, maybe it's because the (state/little country) is so big we need big stuff to try to fill it up......Shrug..LOL!

There's a fella that lives in my comunity that built a trike with a 350 Chevy as the power plant, a motorcycle front end and a narrow small car diff. in the rear, he built a cab that looks like the one on the Adams Family car, he has it street legal and rides it to town all the time in good weather, that sucker is so lite that it will stand straight up if he nails the throttle to hard.......yeah we like things like that so a 6.5hp engine on a bike around here wouldn't bother anyone, even the cops would just look at it and want one, your more apt to get stopped peddling a bike around here than you will on a MB, the law just gives me a thumbs up and grins real big when I ride by, they could care less what the engine size is they just think the bikes are cool.

Peace, map

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Well map, you seem like a pretty civil guy so no hard feelings I hope when I point out in my post I said:

IMO, other than perhaps some specific uses, like for racing, the engine is too big for use on a bicycle on the street.
IMO, in my opinion that is and I'm sure you got yours. I don't know what all the laws are in TX regarding MBs but where I live and about in about 30 other states the law tops out around 50cc and 2 BHP. I'd like to see MBs not regulated out of existence or regulated much at all. Unfortunately I saw that happen with mopeds in the 1970's when they boomed with the gas price hikes of the OPEC embargo era. Mopeds were pretty much unregulated at first but then all across the country states began requiring license, ins, inspection, or registration, etc. That killed the boom. I notice 'mission creep' setting in on the world of motored bicycles where they seem headed more toward motored cycles, in other words a low ball entry in two wheeled motor sport, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will notice this either.

Above that, I do not think even very good bicycles are manufactured with specs made to carry much in the way of auxiliary power and cheap bikes even less, most of those are built to be pedaled 10 to maybe 15 mph top speed max in mind. How many times have we seen where the 50 to 66cc! china 2 strokes have broken tubes or cracked welding? The professor started this thread with a caution on unsettling vibration, as I said I'm not surprised.

Anyway, that's my opinion, speaking of which, here's another.....

your more apt to get stopped peddling a bike around here
Now, something crossed up there, that just ain't right, lol.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Well map, you seem like a pretty civil guy so no hard feelings I hope when I point out in my post I said:

IMO, in my opinion that is and I'm sure you got yours. I don't know what all the laws are in TX regarding MBs but where I live and about in about 30 other states the law tops out around 50cc and 2 BHP. I'd like to see MBs not regulated out of existence or regulated much at all. Unfortunately I saw that happen with mopeds in the 1970's when they boomed with the gas price hikes of the OPEC embargo era. Mopeds were pretty much unregulated at first but then all across the country states began requiring license, ins, inspection, or registration, etc. That killed the boom. I notice 'mission creep' setting in on the world of motored bicycles where they seem headed more toward motored cycles, in other words a low ball entry in two wheeled motor sport, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who will notice this either.

Above that, I do not think even very good bicycles are manufactured with specs made to carry much in the way of auxiliary power and cheap bikes even less, most of those are built to be pedaled 10 to maybe 15 mph top speed max in mind. How many times have we seen where the 50 to 66cc! china 2 strokes have broken tubes or cracked welding? The professor started this thread with a caution on unsettling vibration, as I said I'm not surprised.

Anyway, that's my opinion, speaking of which, here's another.....

Now, something crossed up there, that just ain't right, lol.

No hard feelings at all.....!

I was just goofing around and talking jibberish a bit just for fun, I agree with you 100% that most bikes will not handle very much power especially if that extra power bring lots of vibrations with it.

I think a good quality older bike with a well made rear rack set up with a good rear wheel with a heavy duty axle would do ok with a 6.5hp " yong wong fong dong" or whatever it is from Harbor Freight oh yeah Predator.... some of these are pretty good Honda clone engines, I have one I built a couple years ago sitting on the shelf that puts out way more than 6.5hp, I ordered several performance parts from AGK and had it on a home built Go Kart, with a 15T Noram clutch driving a 60T sprocket my Kart would hit 52MPH, pretty scary on a small home built Kart with low speed mini bike tires and wheels on it..... this engine would wreck a bicycle but I tmay end up making a real nice pusher for one in the future...... :)~}) (^)

Peace, map