hub adapter vs spoke clamp

GoldenMotor.com

Ryanp

Feb 6, 2011
Maryland
Ive got a bit of decision to make. Ive been trying to organize a lot of parts to make my bike much more off road capable and much better on hills. Of course recently i stripped the threads on my chain tensioner trying to keep it from popping off. I realized I did not have the sprocket trued on the vertical plane. I'd like your opinions on whether 1: I go with the manic mechanic hub adapter + a pirate cycles 56 tooth sprocket coming out at around 110 dollars or so because of all the machining they have to do. or 2: purchase a 56 tooth for around $30 that's fit for the spoke clamp set up from gasbike. My real question is does the reliability of the hub adapter in terms of wheel concentricity and the fact that it drives the wheel and not the spokes, offset the price? This forum has been awesome in the past and I've learned so much from other posts. Sorry that all i have to contribute is more questions though :/

Thanks

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I'm not a fan of the rag joint especially if your off roading. I have a sprocket adaptor from manic mechanic and it works awesome. The quality of the unit is top notch and it makes chain alignment a cinch. If your running a multi speed bike it would be hard to pass up a sbp shift kit, you'll be more than half way there in price with a custom machined adaptor.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I have one of Jim's sprockets and adapters and like Ruppster says it's simple awesome....I also am using a disc brake adapter with a 40tooth sprocket that simply bolts to the disc adapter ..it also drive the hub and not the spokes....I have used rag joints before and they never gave me an issue but they are the least desirable.....let us know what you decide and send some snapshots....

Luck,
Saltyshft.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i'd like to know more about the disk brake adapter [c110?] and i just can't see using that rag junk although if you dont have the $ use it... looks unsafe to haul my fat A around! [get it fat A AAAROUND!] like is bobby around? you bettcha he is! dennis

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
sprocket adapter sare definitely worth the investment imo compared to rag joints.

as far as that chain idler, 2 people gave me tips in that, did both of em and mine is rock solid, not slipping any where.

first hammer the 2 plates to be somewhat flattened, this will allow those plates to contour to your specific bike frame, rather then the generic shape they come with.

next eat a can of corn or some soup, hold on to the tin can, cut that up and make shims with it, place the shims between the idler mounts and frame and tighten it down. i set the shims in mine so the grooves from the can were vertical on the bike, like if i was holding the can sideways, hope that explanation works for ya.

lastly bring 1 of the other bolts to a hardware store, get nicer bolts about 1/4 inch longer, the other ones are junk and it mite be hard to make em reach with the slightly flattened plates, tighten them up and hit it with a hammer, bet it wont go anywhere, mine didn't.

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
I just took apart my first ever build and found that the rubber on the rag joint had worn thin and unevenly

Theoretically the rubber pinches together and does not allow for any movement against the spokes

What we found was that it was in fact moving back and forth and the the rubber had worn in different places , causing the sprocket to become uneven, causing the chain to pop off frequently

This is a bike that has seen some extreme use over a year, sometimes being asked to carry upwards of 400 pounds Now we are scrapping that bike (for that person) and building a purpose built truck bike but haven't decided on a sprocket adapter or a jack shaft.
But we know for sure that the rag joint will definitely be discarded

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
ryan what kind of off road riding are you doing how big are theese hills? I personally think a 48 t is good around here on a 2 stroke kit that is. 56 is pretty big sprocket for a 2 stroke i have a 54 and its good but i cant keep up on the track with the guys runing 44's offroad track. i've been running my mm 48t with the adaptor. I've been running the same adaptor for almost 3 years now and its in the same spot it was the day i clamped it to the hub. I say go with the adaptor and whatever size sprocket you want.