New From Macomb, IL

GoldenMotor.com

Toastman

Feb 28, 2011
Macomb, IL
Hi all! Just got my GT5 Super Rat a couple of days ago. I have been interested in motorizing a bicycle for some time now and have used this a forum a lot for research. Walmart should be getting my point beach cruiser from my site to store order tomorrow. Im so excited! I will say that i was a little disappointed with a few things about the kit:

1. one of the threads wasnt tapped all the way through on the carb, had to get a smaller screw (good thing I work a a hardware store...)

2. a small piece of one of the cooling fins was slightly damaged upon arrival

3. the mounting bolt studs are kinda weak, one was bent and not tight

But all in all, just some minor stuff. I have noticed that there is some cheap ring in the opening of the carb to seal against the intake pipe, some black sticky stuff should seal that up though without spending $20 on an oversized intake tube. I will take some pics during and after the build and post to share with ya'll. First thing will be making my own spring loaded chain tensioner, I'm going to get with Leon (the old guy at the hardware store) and see what we can come up with. I dont even have it assembled yet and I want the SBP shift kit, but I promised the misses I would wait on that...... ;-) So, I hope to be hearing from ya guys and if anyone is near west central illinois, drop me a line.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Toastman, Welcome to the forum we are glad you joined us.

Some of the problems you are having are pretty common with these kits.

Toastman

Feb 28, 2011
Macomb, IL
I figured the small issues I had were common. I straight up got some grade 5 8mm bolts for the front mount, she's solid now. That rag gear took forever to get put together...grrrr. But at around midnight last night I finally got her going. Upon returning home I did see some blow by around the spark plug and on my lower frame from around the exhaust port, or at least i hope it was the exhaust port and not the head. I got a couple classes to go to today, but I will be working out the finer details (lever placement, etc.) today. The short ride I did go on was fun as **** tho!

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Welcome to the forum, this is a great hobby/sport and this is the best forum.
Make sure to visit the map page and get your name out there for others to see the IL. Comunity growing.
Our club attends a rally (almost every year) in decatur IL. There are some great guys in the 40 mph gang . And if you feel like an mb get away we hold our rally in southern wisconsin.
Good luck ,have fun ,be safe.

handyjim

Mar 10, 2011
chicago
hi im jim from aoura jest bilt my first bike schwinn drifter lots of work mods cutting fenders chain gards motor mounts hope it will run to cold today to gass up first ride tomarrow

rddrgn2

Mar 3, 2011
fl
hey all im in florida now but home town is Decatur, IL. when is the rally? and where? it must be new as i left in 2000!

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
The rally in decatur is run by scott file (filestyle) and the 40 mph gang, we meet thru the forum and went down to there first ride. It's always a good time. They have been to a couple of shop dog rallys so i guess we owe them a vist this year . We were thinking of meeting some were near starved rock state park. Pm me or scott if you want more info .