do u think this will hurt my motor

GoldenMotor.com

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
well heres the story my motor has been spitting oil sludge or exaust on me for a while it really hasent been a problem cause i have been wearing a old pari of rain pants for weater protection but that didnt last long i needed something warmer so i got i found a nice pair of snowpaints i plan on wearing everyday but i didnt want my motor spitting on my new snow pants runing them so i covered my motor with cardboard to act as a sheild

the motor is completly covered on both sides up to the very top only the top is exposed and the very bottom it has been cold here 3to 10 degrees do you think running like this will hurt my motor

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Without a picture to clearly show how much air flow is restricted there's no way for us to really know for certain... but really, while these happy lil 2 smokers aren't known for their cleanliness, it shouldn't be "spitting" all over the place... the only two areas that normally make any mess at all are the tailpipe & the carby (normal unreeded backblow). Anything else, anywhere else is a pretty straightforward gasket problem. The stock exhaust outlet outa be too low to spew on ya & I thought the carby outa be too far back to get anythin' on ya - but if it's the carby, there's this cheap lil mod *shrug* http://motorbicycling.com/f4/remote-airbox-intake-silencing-cheap-10967.html

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
well barely awake your right these motors shoulnt have that much gunk spewing out but mine does i dont want to take it apart and replace the gaaskets and such right now cause its my daily driver i use it for work i also figure if i do break my motor i can use my dads bike i would rather use mine though cause it starts better and i have worked all the bugs out and my dads bike is uncomfortable

well anyway heres a few pics the first one is the rain paints on the clean side (outside) the second os rain paints on the dirty side (inside) then the third and forth are my motor covered inb ugly cardboard and tape

ohh and i forgot to mention it is very hard to find a nice pair of snowpants to fit me and they cost more than a new motor so if my motor overheats and seizes up it will still be cheaper and easier to find rather than ruining a nice pair of snowpaints i expect to wear for years to come cause im trying to take care of them

even though my motor is dirty it runs great when i store it inside it starts up right away and it aint severely bad after sitting 8 hours outside in 5 degree weather to start ive had cars that were harder to start

Attachments

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Hmm... despite the fact you're really in the "frozen northlands" (so much so ya make me feel like I'm in the tropics lol) - you have that motor so snugged away I'd be a lil worried about overheating... ya might wanna open up the front to make sorta a "ram air" induction to assist cooling...

But, I suspect that from the gunk on yer snow pants that you may be suffering from no more than the very commonplace exhaust manifold leak, not only are those fasteners prone to loosening up (and are crazy easy to strip so be careful) if yer running the stock gasket ya may have noticed it's not very good... If you're indeed leaking there, I'd reco taking the muffler off & using a flat file to make sure the flange is perfectly flat (they're often curved/warped slightly frm the welding process) & picking up one of these far better gaskets: Sick Bike Parts

Jus' a thought ;)

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That little motor looks cozy covered in cardboard.....it'll prolly be ok in those temps. You'll know if it overheats by the flames coming from the cardboardrotfl

Where exactly is all the mess coming from....the head gasket? There are some temp fixes you could use besides cardboard till you get the gaskets replaced. Clean the oozing areas with MEK or acetone and apply some high-temp silicone RTV and let it cure. It should work for a while, but you really need to replace the gaskets that are leaking. Good luck man.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
barely awake said:
But, I suspect that from the gunk on yer snow pants that you may be suffering from no more than the very commonplace exhaust manifold leak, not only are those fasteners prone to loosening up (and are crazy easy to strip so be careful)
well now im almost 100 percent certan the main leak is from the exaust manifold, seeing as how i stripped a stud out in the very begining and replced it with a helicoil. that is loose cause during my home repair i used a hand drill to drill the center of stud out, then put an easy out in but that broke so i had to drill it out all the way but the harder easy out pushed my drill over to one side creating a more oval hole drilling it the bigggest i could for a heli coil still left a little oval in there and the heli coil didnt set proper its now impossible
so i now am useing three large hose clamps to hold the poo poo pipe on znd the heli coil just lines the gaskit up if i tighten it to hard it starts to pull the spring out causing a nice sized leak right now its pretty much the best i can get it i would have to replace the cylinder to fix this problem but i would rather just rebuild a new motor with good porting and exxelent gaskets and swap the motors out rather than try repair this one

i have a motor takin apart now that is supposed to be for my next build but it may end up replacing my current motor. im going all out on this one it took it completly apart and cleaned out all the fine particles left from machining process, and opened the case ports for better flow into the case, and smoothed out the rough casting burrs on the port tops in the cylinder. i would have opened the intake and exaust on the cylinder but they seem large enough. when i put it back together i am going to use the best gaskit material i can find locally for a reasonable price (that stuff is pretty cheap anyway). i also purchased a sbp expansion chamber that i port matched the exaust manifold to the exaust.i ordered a high compression billit head just to try it out and a ported billet intake, now the intake i have noticed opening is slightly smaller im thinking 14mm than my kit cns carb 15mm so im gonna drill it out to match correct size what use is a ported intake if it chokes the carb right

any way those are the plans for my next motor so you see what im saying when i say i would rather just put that beast together than mess with my current motor but still i dont want it to be destroyed i may still wanna rebuild it it has been a nice motor despite the hard life it has had in my inexperienced hands there are too many things that werent done right to mention but it has had a really rough time but still runs strong

at least on my next motor ill know how to take care of it

Last edited:

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
update on the motor cover i made a new and improved one since i had more than ten minutes to make this one it is vastly improved i now have it like a squar tunnel the bottom top and sides are completly enclosed and the front and rear are now open for air flow it took alot of tape to do this but it was fun

the whole things painted black but some of the photos are from before paint

supprisingly there was not a noticable drop in engine noise

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
If you ever encounter a said broken easy out again. They are brittle as you have noticed. Especially the cheap China err Taiwanese, India brand ones. You can find a scribe type punch or grind a punch [chisel] down to size wear ''safety glasses'' Simply break the easy out, out of the drilled whole. It takes patients but it will work. Don't ask how I know I have had some golden times in my wrenching career.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
thanks for the insight heres a trick my buddy used later ther was just enough of a head sticking out the case and my buddy spot welded a nut on that worked theres another tip but that wasnt on a ht it was a well i dont exactly remember mayber a small stand up scooter or something but yeah that worked