Vintage generator lights will they work?

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Does it work off the white wire? I'm just curious if the headlight would work from the white wire :D

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I hooked up the German (antique) headlight to the white wire,rode around town for awhile and the light works but it isn't bright at all.Can anyone recommend a bulb that works for this type of bullet light? Its 6 volts 3 watts. Thanks!

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Bump! I'm still running the light off the white wire,its not very bright at all..I need some ideas to get this light bright enough to see the road in front of me. Anyone?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's impressive that it works off the white wire at all... well more that the engine continues to fire that is heh, how about it's brightness at speed? The faster ya go - the better the power output of the magneto...

Problem is that a more powerful light would usually require more... well power lol and the mag just doesn't have that much to spare. I've one of Norm's lights: http://motorbicycling.com/f23/lights-run-off-white-wire-no-7306.html and while the voltage & wattage are about the same it is plenty bright enough... so I would assume that it's the reflector style that's making the difference.

You could try a better quality bulb however, even Walmart has a wide variety of 6v "lantern" bulbs and some of them are quite fancy with exotic filaments etc... You may wish to tighten up your plug gap if you're having problems with stalling and/or a "stumbling" idle BTW, I run the bike with (white wire) lights @ about .020 for that reason.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
It is wicked! With all of the threads about lights here I didn't think it'd work at all,I just had to try it out and see :) I run a NGK plug at stock gap & 'aftermarket' wire,I've had no issues with start ups or idling none whatsoever.I've been running the light nonstop but it isn't bright enough for all the back roads,trails I ride at night.I really want one of Norm's light,its just a pain to load money on a prepaid it cost $3.95 fee per load and I can't afford it lol.I'll have to check out some bulbs at Walmart tomorrow since I gotta go there anyways :D Any particular bulb you could recommend that doesn't cost more than a cab ride LOL? Heck I just need something to work cuz' dude I ride extremely crazy!! Thanks guy.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I can't reco a specific bulb 'cause I've not tried them, jus' spent time staring at the selection and wonderin'... then I got Norm's lights heh - but I will be needin' one (three actually) here pretty soon as I've got a 6v gen hub & lights (different bike)... but no bulbs as of yet. So ifn ya find something nice - remember to post it :D

While fiddlin' around with different bulbs is a worthy cause I still think it's prolly the reflector/lens style bein' more a "flood" than a "spot" that's causing it to seem dim... If it were my ride and a different bulb didn't help - I'd just get a second battery-operated light for those times ya need a high-beam and keep that white wire light on all the time as a safety feature, so ppl can see you *shrug*

Last edited:

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I can't reco a specific bulb 'cause I've not tried them, jus' spent time staring at the selection and wonderin'... then I got Norm's lights heh - but I will be needin' one (three actually) here pretty soon as I've got a 6v gen hub & lights (different bike)... but no bulbs as of yet. So ifn ya find something nice - remember to post it :D

While fiddlin' around with different bulbs is a worthy cause I still think it's prolly the reflector/lens style bein' more a "flood" than a "spot" that's causing it to seem dim... If it were my ride and a different bulb didn't help - I'd just get a second battery-operated light for those times ya need a high-beam and keep that white wire light on all the time as a safety feature, so ppl can see you *shrug*
I run with a secondary China led battery light $1 (free ship) off Ebay so far they're brighter than the gen headlight.I'm gonna try a few or many different bulbs to see what I can get outta this :D I'll post something here this evening.Now that you've mentioned the lens style may be causing it to be dim,I think you're right as the beam of the light is not bad but the way it reflects into a big circle onto the road is harsh.Maybe some kind of small mirror inside? I don't know lol.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Alright so I went to Walmart today to get some bulbs witch they didn't have many at all to choose from.I grabbed a couple lantern 4.2 V 0.5 A 3 W bulbs just to see what they'd do..The new bulb is perhaps brighter than the original bulb BUT the reflector lens throws the beam in all kinda different spots making it not bright at all.Any ideas what could be done to make this brighter? Or do you think Normans light be the way to go for my type of night riding?