DAX 50cc Won't Start Now, Pedals Easier

GoldenMotor.com

VaporKing

May 15, 2008
Hello fellow moterized bikers.

I just bought an assembled DAX 50cc Skyliner. It started fine when I bought it, and the prior owner said that it was new. While new, the bike would either start or I would not be able to peddle it after popping the clutch.

I drove the bike several times, and on the "final tour", I drove it 50 miles (used about 1/3 gallon of gas). During the final tour, I had some difficulty restarting while the emngine was warm. Now, days after the final tour, I cannot start the engine.

I did everything that was mentioned in the other letters. I verified spark, disabled the kill switch, and the engine is getting gas, as proven by the "drips" comming from the tailpipe.

I used the tickler, and after tickling, gas leaked out of the button until I manually pulled the button back-out. I removed the plug, and pedeled the gas out of the engine, and tried to restart, and it just doesn't fire-up.

I'll bet that either the engine is being flooded, or I've lost compression somewhere, hopefully on a gasket. Should I be able to pedal a broken-in engine that is fully engaged? (By the way, the engine purred like a kitten while tI peddled with the spark plug out. It gave me happy memories of what the engine should have sounded like while firing.)

I have an old compression tester laying around somewhere. Have I lost compression, am I flooding, or whatelse could be happening?

If I lost too much compression, would it be easy for me to rebuild?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Try a new plug first. then varify that you have spark. Clear out the engine and then try the starting proceedure from the top, no tickler this time, just half choke. Let us know how it goes.

You could snug the head bolts down a little 25 ft. lbs. max.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A set of rings are easy and cheap if you are having compression problems, but you shoud need them for a few thousand miles.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Let me try to understand by telling you what my bike does. I pedal it to about six or seven mph then drop the clutch it feels like it's running it sounds like its running for a couple of seconds then it starts.

So when you drop you clutch does it sound almost like it is running. If it doesn't your clutch is likely slipping. If it does then it is mostly not compression problems. spark, gas, air would be my guess.

Do you have the old plug and wire from the kit, if so I would give a new plug and wire a shot first. If it is getting gas then it isn't the fuel filter or the carb setting or it wouldn't have run in the first place.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Also, if you have a blown base or head gasket, you will have little compression, both are easy to check.

Keep us posted as to what you find.