real motorized recumbent.

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 27, 2015
R.I.
I'm new to this thread and I have been looking for a while to see if anybody has built a true motor assisted lowrider style recumbent bicycle. I have been riding a recumbent for about a year now, yeah it's one of those things that you have to do it understand. I also have a long history of building things. Ridiculous overpowered Rube Goldberg looking machine. I have designed on paper roughly a low racer front wheel drive recumbent bicycle with a motor that drives the rear tire. Has anybody ever seen anything like this. I'm thinking about putting on A 66/80cc raw racer with a 39 to sprocket.. the recombinant iRide day today has a simple bolt on engine with a propeller. With pedal assistance I have had 45 miles an hour downhill and that's with a 42cc 2 stroke with a 20 inch 8 pitch beechwood propeller.
I guess what I'm looking for in links the things that could help or any general knowledge. I'm buying the motor at the end of the week and plan on doing status updates as this goes. Is just something about being that low to the ground moving that fast makes you feel like a kid again. Wish me luck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We're glad you've joined us.

To answer your question; yes. Motorized 'bents', are common. Do a little searching using our 'Custom Search' and type in 'recumbent' and you'll find lots of discussion on the subject. There are some 'build threads' showing how the projects were accomplished as well as details like drive systems, brakes, wiring, fuel systems, etc.

Good luck and keep us informed on the progress of your project.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unusual but not the first prop driven bike that's been seen here. One that was featured used a weedwhacker with a prop attached where the line spool used to go. Weird but it worked.

Are you concerned at all about that exposed, unguarded prop? Not so much for you but others who might approach your bike when the engine is running? Please be careful, sir.

If I'm not mistaken that is a Cessna 140 hanging on the wall?

Tom

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've only built a couple of recumbent trikes. It's nice not to HAVE TO put yer feet down at every stop. Get a comfy seat and it's like sitting in yer living room recliner. The first one I built was kind of cheating, I took a gocart frame, chopped off the rear wheels and bolted on a Go-ped rear. added peddles with a freewheel to make it street legal. And have been blowing the cops minds every since. I call her TRI-Baby. I've had a few different engines on her and with a 49cc she hits around 30mph. Right now I'm in the middle of putting a 4 stroke Honda GX150 3.8hp on her. I hope it works OK. What I'm looking for is reliability rather than more power. although More power is always good. The 49cc 4 stroke motors don't really have enough "get-up" for me, so I was really happy when the HP rating got boosted to 4HP. I just happened to have the 3.8HP laying around so HERE WE GO. It should be finished in a day or two. I'll try to post pics. It still kinda looks like a gocart so I get a lot of "YOU CANT DRIVE THAT THING ON THE STREET," from the cops. IT's funny watching them walk away without giving me a ticket, usually mad as heck.
fatdaddy.usflg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2015
R.I.
Unusual but not the first prop driven bike that's been seen here. One that was featured used a weedwhacker with a prop attached where the line spool used to go. Weird but it worked.

Are you concerned at all about that exposed, unguarded prop? Not so much for you but others who might approach your bike when the engine is running? Please be careful, sir.

If I'm not mistaken that is a Cessna 140 hanging on the wall?

Tom
The exposed propeller really is no threat to the rider. The motor mount pushes the motor away from the rider. I am very careful in traffic where there are pedestrians.
Good eye on the 140. It's one my grandfather built in the 40s.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here is an old link I found. Judging from prop size I'd say yours is much more efficient and probably quieter. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h7AmVPpaEY

Yeah, the 140 holds some fond memories for me. I have over two hundred hours in one. Flew the darn thing all over Florida and Georgia back in the 70s. I have a 9' span R/C model hanging in my garage.

Keep us posted on anything you build. Should be interesting, and fun.

Tom

Craig rice

Jul 21, 2018
I'm new to this thread and I have been looking for a while to see if anybody has built a true motor assisted lowrider style recumbent bicycle. I have been riding a recumbent for about a year now, yeah it's one of those things that you have to do it understand. I also have a long history of building things. Ridiculous overpowered Rube Goldberg looking machine. I have designed on paper roughly a low racer front wheel drive recumbent bicycle with a motor that drives the rear tire. Has anybody ever seen anything like this. I'm thinking about putting on A 66/80cc raw racer with a 39 to sprocket.. the recombinant iRide day today has a simple bolt on engine with a propeller. With pedal assistance I have had 45 miles an hour downhill and that's with a 42cc 2 stroke with a 20 inch 8 pitch beechwood propeller.
I guess what I'm looking for in links the things that could help or any general knowledge. I'm buying the motor at the end of the week and plan on doing status updates as this goes. Is just something about being that low to the ground moving that fast makes you feel like a kid again. Wish me luck.
How did your build go

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Craig,

Welcome to the forum.

The post is a few days short of three years old and his last post on the thread so you may not get a reply. Many of the people who replied have since moved on from the forum for different reasons.
If you look at the date at the bottom of the posts you can see when it was posted.

Steve.