What is the quietest motorized kit

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think the insulation for homes is not going to work....it will probably get clogged with oil pretty fast. Deck cloth is like the stuff they do autobody work with, but thicker. A coarse F/G matting may work too.

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
I think that we can agree that 4 stroke has the ability to be the quietest. The problem with quiet is that quite likely you are sacrificing power to gain that as a straight exhaust rules in the power department. The trick is to actually gain power and have a quieter than stock exhaust. It has been done for 4 stroke dirt bikes and can be done for MAB's, and will be. Soon.
DSC01165.JPG

Much_Hustle

Feb 8, 2021
As well you should be. If you have the talents to build and improve a design and then enjoy it. My concern is for the future of this hobby. Annoying people with noisy bikes will do nothing but promote bad feelings and ultimately regulations that can and will spell the end of motor assisted bicycles as we know them today. As our numbers continue to grow we need to take every opportunity to present ourselves as considerate individules by keeping our engines noise to acceptable levels, riding within the legal limits (20MPH in most states) and not promoting actions that will undoubtedly bring the unwanted attention from the man with the badge, and his boss.
Like Joe, I primarily ride in a residential area and watch to see when people react to the sound of my bike. As a rule they don't until I'm within less than a hundred feet of them and often less because I want to keep piece with my neighbors. I'm sorry if you take offence but I'm not alone with my concerns for the future of this sport/hobby/activity.
Tom
This is my goal too. Ideally I could pass a cop, riding in the bike lane, and make most people - cop especially - assume it's an E-bike. Obviously I'd have to cut the throttle once I get within...1/2 blk?, 1 blk?, 10 ft??? How quiet could I get it if I'm optimizing from the start with stealth as the priority including engineering choices and mods (motor type, muffler, etc) as well as like some deceptive "sleight of sound" tricks to create some auditory illusions (like those loud horns they used to make for cars or motorcycles that played "La Cucaracha la Cucaracha da da da...." , or jet fighter sound effects, & machine gun fire, etc ) so, just in case, as I pass with the throttle cut I could HoNK HONK something like cheezy laser gun sound [that begins with a pitch close to the motor's frequency followed by crescendoing laser "SHeeyooom SHO SHO SHSHSHOOOO" sounds in random rapid burst.... but only a couple at 1-3 second burst so not to attract and/or annoy too much. Just enough that combined with a few other stereotypical traits he's able to easily take comfort in his well worn assumptions and fit my passing as the semi-usual Portland Bicycle Wierdo giving a loud "funky futuristic" honk for safety which gives an easy rational excuse for that sound he thought he may have heard , instead of, "hmm why was that e-bike so loud?"......... Whataya think?

Loop

May 27, 2020
S.Knoxville
Maybe this is a dumb question. I don't know much about 2-stroke or 4-stroke engines. I was looking at electric bikes and was amazed at the cost of them so I'm looking at these motorized kits. Does anyone know what the quietest kit on the market is? I'd like to get a 80cc. I want to go fast but I don't want to annoy the neighbors.
They’re all about the same, about as loud as a small dirt bike or some scooters.
I get ridiculous gas mileage fill up perhaps after 5 days of riding. I do recommend going to amazon and getting the 4liter tank with the bracket mounts and ditch the stud mount tank that the kit comes with, the vibration Will break the welds on the bolts loose and you will have a bad day, when a half gallon of gas dumps on the motor like mine did.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Maybe this is a dumb question. I don't know much about 2-stroke or 4-stroke engines. I was looking at electric bikes and was amazed at the cost of them so I'm looking at these motorized kits. Does anyone know what the quietest kit on the market is? I'd like to get a 80cc. I want to go fast but I don't want to annoy the neighbors.
Well, the quietest engine is probably a 35cc subaru 4str. , but most engines aren´t any
louder than most lawn mowers. Quietest kits are probably cogged belt drive or friction. I
mostly ride electric these day, but also a 40cc 2str with a belt kit in lieu of range anxiety.
On the plus side, the noise let´s ´em know yur there. Ebikes don´t get a lot of respect from
drivers or the spandex crowd. There are some electric kits that aren´t too dear, but batteries
are another story.. I like 2strs. fewer moving parts, but quality can vary widely. I´ve had no issues
with electric motors by themselves, but again, ebike quality can vary widely too.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
A CY460 engine is noted to be a loud one.

However, I got mine to be so quiet, I swear I could hear the piston ring scraping the barrel at idle speed.

I used the CG muffler from SickBikeParts and 18" of 5/8" of silicone rubber tubing.