Work and back (then back to work)

GoldenMotor.com

houseofreggae

May 22, 2012
Missoula, MT
Rode 19 miles today on my new dax f80, the thing did really good. Just curious, should I be babying this new motor for break-in, or just ride it like a banshee outta ****? Kinda hard to keep it at top end for too long because of vibrations... will those stop or lessen after break-in? Real smooth at mid range tho. Another thing, there's one big hill to climb on my way to work...should I assist the motor with pedaling? Or just let it do it's thing? right now I have about 35 easy riding miles on the motor. Thanks for readin'.

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
Hey houseofreggae,

You've got 35 easy miles? Thats pretty much all the break in it needs. A good thing to do is to vary the revolutions from easy to more, and then back down. so like, start at 5 miles per hour, then go up to 20, then back down to five. But thats usually what you wanna do when you first turn on the engine.

I'm sure your fine. Just enjoy your ride. And like all things mechanical, the more you work them, the more stress they will have. So you could def climb the hill with motor alone, but if it's really bad, and maybe stressing the clutch, its no harm to pedal.

Welcome to the club! If your looking to put more money into your bike, Id recomend a shift kit. I got one from sickbikeparts. I'd have to say its the single best upgrade I did.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
When you are breaking in the engine (a couple of tanks of gas will do it, but certainly not 35 miles) be sure to not run the engine down to low, especially with a heavy load on it.

Vary the rpm, and don't forget to check the whole bike/engine/installation for loose nuts and bolts. Check the head bolts (gently), and the intake and exhaust especially.

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
OH good point bikeguy joe.

When I was breaking my engine in, nearly all the nuts either came loose and fell off, or came loose and I caught them before. just make sure to tighten or at least inspect before each day, if not each ride.

houseofreggae

May 22, 2012
Missoula, MT
ok good advice, so i've put dots on the top of every external nut with a sharpie marker, that way i can tell if they've loosened. don't wanna over tighten and strip anything ya know. already had to replace all the hardware on my sprocket because of overtightened stripped nuts and bolts.