Freezing brake and throttle lines!

GoldenMotor.com

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
So today was the first real cold day. it was around 18 degrees F.

I had trouble starting the engine but eventually that roared to life with the right amount of choke only to find the throttle line was frozen! I couldn't pull the throttle.

Anyway, being late for an appointment I just used my hand on top of the engine to adjust the throttle mechanism above the carb.

that worked fine untill I had to stop.... the brake lines were frozen and I couldn't pull the brake!!!

I put my feet to the ground to glide to a stop, and then pulled the brakes real hard. Thats when they clamped shut. I had to walk the bike the rest of the way.

Lesson learned... can't ride in below freezing weather.

Anyone have a remedy for this? I just put a lubricant on all the moving parts (liquid wrench)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm an all season rider, you can defo ride in below freezing weather but as you've learned it's best to do a quick "preflight" before ya go, making sure everything works as it should.

You've some water in the cables is all... I'm assuming you store your bike outdoors? Do you have a cover for it?

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
I would love to move it closer to the equator....

And I do leave it outdoors but under a wooden stair case. I moved it into the garage tonight, and will leave it there from now on. I hope it's warm enough for the water to evaporate out tomorrow or the next day.

A cover would also be a good idea!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol, well yer about 400 miles closer than I am ;)

Once water gets in there it may take quite some time to work it's way out, depending on the length & routing of the cables. Given that they were binding but you were still able to squeeze them at all means you've not a lot of water - relubing them generously once they've warmed/freed up should do the trick.

Preventative maintenance really helps, if the cables are well lubed it's very difficult for water to enter the cable housings. In cold climates you'll want to make sure to only use oil based lubricants as the waxy ones will thicken, even semi solidify. Liquid Wrench is OK, but it doesn't last very long - I would suggest any oil based chain/cable lube instead.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA
You could go with a water displacing lubricant, like, I don't know, WD 40:)
I would think that keeping it in the garage would solve the problem.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Like one said....move closer to the equator. :>)
I guess a vehicle is out of the question. :>(
Keep bike inside
Lube cables with anti freeze in the winter ?? 100% using a syringe.
Use a hair drier to defrost cables.
Could even use a heat wrap (plugs into 120V) or heating pad.
http://homerepair.about.com/od/exteriorhomerepair/ss/winterize_5.htm

If you can cover the bike up, take a 60W light bulb (plugged in of course :>)) and place with the bike under its cover. The cover will capture the heat and keep your bike warm. A 4 X 6 tarp will work, those cheap ones they sell in stores.

Last edited:

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
Great ideas!

I have to take the bike to work tomorrow (as my car was recently totalled), so I'm going to take a hair dryer to the cables right now. I'll wd-40 it at the same time. If it freezes again after an hour of sitting i think I'll go ahead and do the light under the tarp idea.

Thanks!

Just gotta make sure to keep water out of the cables next time...

mineomartinez

Nov 3, 2011
Connecticut
So instead of WD-40 I used some PB blaster, and it seems to be working. Gotta just remember to keep those lines lubricated from now on. Thanks for your guys input!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
As was mentioned above, it's best to keep the bike in a sheltered enclosure when not in use. Any place where rain or snow won't fall on it. Next best is a bike cover or a well strapped tarp.
I keep realizing how lucky I am to have a small, but solid, windowless shed with a steel door and a reliable door lock. My bike almost never sees rain, let alone snow.
I still do my pre-ride checklist though.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Woot! Something to put on the door handle of my van. And maybe at the base of the wiper arm on the back window. I wonder if it's safe to use INSIDE the door locks? Some of these de-icers don't always cut it. Lube that doesn't freeze. Where has it been? Thanks GearNut!
You can use it wherever you would use a light to medium weight oil or grease.
You can also use it as a leather dressing/ water repellent (It is lanolin based).
The stuff has many surprising applications and has outlasted/ out performed many different lubes I have used in the past, measured by years with only one application.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You can use it wherever you would use a light to medium weight oil or grease.
You can also use it as a leather dressing/ water repellent (It is lanolin based).
The stuff has many surprising applications and has outlasted/ out performed many different lubes I have used in the past, measured by years with only one application.
Sorry to interupt OP..........GearNut, stop posting and get to work on your bike, that 4-stroke is begging to be brought to life..........now back to our regular scheduled program (thread) :D

dnut

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Work.... oooooww!

Anyway my 2 cents I used the dry Lockease Dry Lubricant Graphite Powder. I put about a tablespoon full in a cloth and then wrap the cloth with the graphite powder in it along the length of the removed cable from cover.

You'll see the shine on the cable go to a dull grey and you know that you have a good amount on the cable then.

I also shoot with the nozzle on the dry graphite down each end of the cable cover. It might get some in part way, but when putting the cable in it will redistribute it in the cover.

The container I got is so old there is no label left to see, but I poured some of the stuff out. It just looks like dust. I know there are many other brands of Graphite Powder. I suggest that this should work and the newer product have a liquid type, but I'm not thinking anything but using the dry powder stuff.

MT

Attachments