Acorn nut stuck on stud

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Tom, you are right that not everyone takes the time so straighten out these minor problems before they become major ones.

Too bad that there are many first-time builders that follow a box-to-bike installation procedure, and then come to the forum after the damage has been done.

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
I learned my lesson on acorn nuts long ago .
For the most part ... they are just dressup items .

This is my thought on the matter .
The ones you can find commonly at your local hardware store are usually one of two types ... Chromed or Stainless .

Chromed : usually sloppy because they are tapped oversize , before they are chromed , to accomodate for the thickness of the chrome .
Then theres the ones that are tapped on size and then they are too tight after chroming .

Stainless : every single stainless acorn nut , nut or bolt , that i have ever bought from a hardware store ... key words HARDWARE STORE ... are junk . They are made of soft stainless and as far as i,m concerned ( should come with a warning sticker on them ... not to be used on mechanical equiptment )

I couln,t even count how many times i,ve twisted the head right off stainless bolts ,
1/4 up to 1/2 , and thats only tightening ( i,m not talking about reefing on them )
They should only be used on wooden fences and decks . At least the wood will squish before the head of the bolt twists off .

Hardware store = junk .

Theres all kinds of stainless . Some is not magnetic ..some is .
Generally , the stuff that is not magnetic is soft , because of its lack of carbon .
If you are going to use stainless ... at minimum go to an automotive store .
But chances are that the automotive store has nothing better that 18-8 anyways .
I'll only buy them at a fastener supply shop ... were they have a huge catalouge , with grade selections ... AISI 400 series is pretty strong , blah blah blah .

I guess its a toss , do ya want it to look pretty , or do you want it to last ?
Pretty ones that do last ... cost a lot and there not the easiest to find .

Just stick with grade 5 or 8 steel and you won,t have so many problems .

I hear a lot of people allways saying " oh grade 8 ... use grade 8 ...its stronger "
But in many cases grade 5 is better because it is not as HARD .
Hardness = Brittleness

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A good rule of thumb: NEVER USE STAINLESS STEEL FASTENERS FOR CRITICAL ASSEMBLIES!.

Yes, stainless is hard to cut, grind, bend, etc, but it is not intended for use in places where stress, sheer or vibration is common. Yes, it's pretty and can be polished to a chrome-like finish but don't use it for critical parts, suspension, engine fasteners, wing attachment points, etc.

If you believe that you need hardened steel for fasteners then go to a grade 5 or 8 but leave the stainless for those who never ride, drive or fly their vehicles but only show them. The old saying that "stainles is forever" does not apply to the strength of the material, only that it won't rust or corrode.
Tom