First Build (Underway in less than a week!)

GoldenMotor.com

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
So I just purchased my Z2-80 66c Slant Head Beauty from BoyGoFast on eBay.com. Check it out here!

I'm also planning to purchase THIS 26" Cranny from Walmart!

I had a couple questions before I get the bike tomorrow, because the motor I just purchased tonight and should be on it's way sometime tomorrow.

1st - See that back fender on the bike? Would I need to remove that to fit, properly, the 41T sprocket and chain?

2nd - As far as a single level dual brake system goes.. can someone link me an example of something that may work well with this bike?

Thanks!
Aaron

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
enjoy your new bike.

1. you can cut the fender. either a notch for just the chain.
or you can cut it so it is shorter on the front.
your kit may also contain a chain guard. you can use that to hide the notch cut.

also you may just want to take off the fender @ first. just so you are sure of the geometry of where the chain sits.

2. i believe that bike has a coaster brake. so you don't need a duel brake lever.
i don't have a cranbook but, there probably a spot to add a cable brake to the back. some people use the duel brake lever. from my understanding it isn't the safest idea. sometimes when you brake, the tire locks up. its normal. if one lever pulls both brakes, there is more of a chance of both tires locking up. if one tire locks up the other is either steering or being a rudder. if both lock up, that could send you sideways.

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
When it comes to the fender, I was thinking about removing it regardless.. but I wanted to see if it would be possible to keep it by any means. I'll definitely see about adjusting it's size though.

And I didn't think about that with the dual lever.. and if it does already have brakes on it, then nevermind, that answers that question. ha

Thanks for your help!

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
remember that if you keep off the rear fender, you will end up with a skunk stripe every time the tire gets wet. you will get a wet face & engine if you keep the front fender off.

i pulled mine off but will eventually put mine back on.
i really regretted it when i went on a muddy dirt road.

nastygramus

Feb 25, 2011
NE illinois
Looks great might want to turn the fuel filter around got it on bacwards !
Dual brake levers the way to go ! you will have to adjust them to avoid lock up but you can use all the brakes you can get Enjoy ZOOM ZOOM

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You will have to take the sprocket off and install it dish side out to keep the chain from rubbing the tire. I had this problem with my Cranbrook build.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I use the dual brake lever on all of my builds. The front brake cable goes to the lower and the rear brake goes to the upper. If you study the operation of the lever you will see that as the handle rotates around the pivot/fulcrum, there is a longer throw on the upper than on the lower.

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
Well, we adjusted the clutch, the tire spins just fine without the motor chain, (so the hub isn't an issue), however, we threw both chains on and they are fitted perfectly. Now when we disengage the clutch, or at least we think it's disengaged, it still pedals with difficulty. Any ideas? Other than messing with the crankshaft? I want to try everything before getting into the more advanced things...

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
This is how I adjust the clutch on my builds:

Lock the clutch lever and remove the flower nut locking screw. Press down on the clutch disk(the one with the three holes) ,and turn the flower nut until it is tight, then loosen it a little bit so that there is slight play in the disk. You should be able to turn the disk by hand. Release the clutch lever and you will see that the disk gets pulled in real tight against the pucks.
Reinstall the flower nut locking screw.

There will always be resistance when the clutch is engaged, because the 10 tooth gear and some of the clutch internals will still turn with the rear wheel even with the clutch disengaged.

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
This is how I adjust the clutch on my builds:

Lock the clutch lever and remove the flower nut locking screw. Press down on the clutch disk(the one with the three holes) ,and turn the flower nut until it is tight, then loosen it a little bit so that there is slight play in the disk. You should be able to turn the disk by hand. Release the clutch lever and you will see that the disk gets pulled in real tight against the pucks.
Reinstall the flower nut locking screw.

There will always be resistance when the clutch is engaged, because the 10 tooth gear and some of the clutch internals will still turn with the rear wheel even with the clutch disengaged.
Thanks for going into detail man! I'm trying that first thing when I get home today!

Rmerac

Aug 29, 2011
Independence, MO
Booyah! Thanks for the advice guys! We went in and adjusted the flower nut properly, adjusted the clutch a bit. After setting the fuel valve open, (of course), and the choke on low, she started right up and gave no signs of issues. I'm using coaster brakes at the moment.. however, I get my first paycheck in the next 3 weeks and I'm going to buy dual lever brakes.