Has anyone tried scented fuel?

GoldenMotor.com

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
The other day I was riding my MB to my house, and my girlfriend was trailing behind me in her car. She said that she could smell the exhaust for my bike, and that got me thinkin'.

So I looked up the idea of adding a scent to your exhaust, and this is what I found:

Palmer Racing Fuels - Additives and Fuel Scents

Has anyone tried anything like this? I'm highly tempted.

I wish they had a mint scent, because I'm not crazy about my bike smelling fruity. I was thinking of adding a little mint extract to my fuel but I realized the one in my pantry contains quite a bit of water and only 26% alcohol. Although my better judgment would probably prevent me from doing that anyhow.

brnot

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I know they make them, but what's the point??? Just pass gas to change the scent......biff.

dnut

The other day I was riding my MB to my house, and my girlfriend was trailing behind me in her car. She said that she could smell the exhaust for my bike, and that got me thinkin'.

So I looked up the idea of adding a scent to your exhaust, and this is what I found:

Palmer Racing Fuels - Additives and Fuel Scents

Has anyone tried anything like this? I'm highly tempted.

I wish they had a mint scent, because I'm not crazy about my bike smelling fruity. I was thinking of adding a little mint extract to my fuel but I realized the one in my pantry contains quite a bit of water and only 26% alcohol. Although my better judgment would probably prevent me from doing that anyhow.

brnot

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
You might try citronella oil from the local hdw store. Ride around yer house and run off the 'skeeters.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
No offense intended here, but just the thought of adding a food scent to the fuel so the exhaust smells like a fruit stand is a bit " Fruity " in my opinion.....! LOL!

Of coarse to each their own, the best cure for the smell that's ailing anyone IMHO is to just run Opti2...... even @ 72:1 you wont have all that smoke and smell like the other oils.

I think Pirate sells the Strawberry scented oil, I guess we could run that and name our bikes "My little Cheescake" I know I'm being a bit ugly here but this scented oil stuff just really makes me scratch my head and say...WHAT...........! are you SERIOUS.......!

It's just plain comical to me unless it was a GIRL talking about it and then it would be completely understandable and acceptable, but dang we got to man up here.......WOW!

Anyone can throw stones at me about this if they want, it wont upset me at all, this is only my $0.02 NOT meant to down anyone or anything, I'm just laughing......right now!

Let's see I could name my three bikes.....

1.) Cheesecake

2.) Tuity Fruity

and last but not least...

3.) Bubbles

LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL!............................

Peace, map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just add an ounce of Castor oil to your blend. There's nothing smells better than a 2 stroke engine burning a little Castor. Takes me back to my pre-teens, my dad and our gocart racing days together. What a great smell and memory. :)
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Just add an ounce of Castor oil to your blend. There's nothing smells better than a 2 stroke engine burning a little Castor. Takes me back to my pre-teens, my dad and our gocart racing days together. What a great smell and memory. :)
Tom
Boy oh Boy Tom aint that the truth, the Castor makes a 2 smoker smell nice just like the Avgas/VP fuel also does to me at the drag strip............

I love those smells......... makes you want to spin the tires on something.........!

I have some Nitro R/C trucks and a buggy and I love the way that Castor/Nitro/Methanol blend fuel smells.......excellent!

Peace, map

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Yeah, like I said, I'm not crazy about the fruit smells, but I think the idea of adding a scent to your fuel is an interesting one. Also, after I get off my bike I smell like exhaust so maybe it'd make me smell better too!

How 'bout a beer scent! Now that'd be something.

I'd like to try adding castor oil. Does it do anything other than changing the smell of the exhaust?

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i have seen the scented oils in the vespa forums for a while. from what i remember they are not as good as the oils that many use.
so i think of it as the same as eating a lot of fiber. it makes your farts stink much worse than if eating unhealthy.
oil is made to take care of the bearing surfaces not your nose.

i don't think i have ever smelled castor. in fact i don't remember ever seeing it in the stores.
can you use medical grade castor oil?
if i'm running 100:1 opti-2, is it compatible & how much should i use.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't know if it's still available but there was Castor formulated for model airplane use from a company called Sig. It came in one quart cans at the hobby shop. That was a few years ago so I can't say if its still out there. I've used medical grade Castor but only added about one ounce to a gallon of 2 cycle mix along with Opti-2. You still get that great smell but there isn't enough Castor to foul things up. Good luck. Let us know what you think of the smell.

In all honesty, I would guess that those of us who really like it are associating it with our youth and whatever activities we were involved with that saw Castor oil used. It might not smell that great to just anyone :)
Tom

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
well i have been wanting to incorporate castor oil for a while.
from my understanding it is great for engines. after it gets used it makes in between a dry lubricant or like a black coating on cast iron pans.
i mainly use cast iron cook ware in my house.
my pans are so black i cook scrambled eggs in them almost every day w/o sticking.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here is a link to some of the best castor oil you can get, it's best to run a degummed castor oil in 2 stroke engines, it can actually be ran straight without any other oils in the fuel mix, it will smoke real nice, but it protect and engine like crazy too and of coarse then there is that great castor smell........!

This is a sight I use to get the materials for the fuel I will be mixing myself for mine and a friends RC trucks buggies and planes, a mix of 5% castor with 10% red line synthetic for a 15% oil mix fuel RC fuel is real nice.

Anyway, $20.00 per gallon for this great oil is a steal.

Since you like to run a bit of castor Tom this would fix you right up at a good price.

Fox 100% castor oil - $20.00 : Fox Manufacturing

For anyone interested in the Red Line oils here is a link to there site as well.
Red Line Synthetic Oil - Two-Stroke Oils

Peace, map

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You know what, I say let it stink! In fact, I'd even go so far as to get one of those horizontal, low hanging mufflers and add that fake skunk scent into it; let it heat up in there.
Of course, that's because I can't stand tailgaters.

Been hit once already by somebody who wasn't paying enough attention, now I don't want anybody near me. So what if my two-smoker stinks like an old tool & die plant trying to make a monthly quota. More power to it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Maybe you could dissolve some sulfur into your fuel for a nice Indiana fart! A strong odor will raise awareness!
(If you have kids, you might know what movie I'm quoting: )

- Two British soldiers standing by Mrs. Price's motorcycle
Soldier One "What's she burn in that thing? Smells a bit like sulfur!"
Soldier Two "Nonsense! One can't make motorfuel out of sulfur."

:)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Maybe you could dissolve some sulfur into your fuel for a nice Indiana fart! A strong odor will raise awareness!
Come to think of it, they do make these bean burritos with the green chilis in 'em. I've never been inclined to eat more than one on my lunch break. But maybe after two or three, tailgaters will begin to back off :)