Runnin' pretty good now. But I can't idle.

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Howdy folks.

I have to hold the throttle a little bit to idle. How can I make it so that I don't have to hold the throttle to idle? My throttle cable is already adjusted as tight as possible. Should I cut it and shorten it?

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Howdy folks.

I have to hold the throttle a little bit to idle. How can I make it so that I don't have to hold the throttle to idle? My throttle cable is already adjusted as tight as possible. Should I cut it and shorten it?
Solder the cable before shortening it so it doesn't fray.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Have you tried adjusting the idle screw? Which carb are you running? If its a cns2 the screw closest to the red air filter cover is for air mixture at idle, turn it ccw to increase air flow and it should increase engine rpm. The other screw is the idle, turn it cw to increase rpm.

Last edited:

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Solder the cable before shortening it so it doesn't fray.
I honestly don't know what I would do without you guys, thats a great idea man thanks If I have to I'll try that.

Have you tried adjusting the idle screw? Which carb are you running? If its a cns2 the screw closest to the red air filter cover is for air mixture at idle, turn it ccw to increase air flow and it should increase engine rpm.
I haven't adjusted the idle screw because I planned on adjusting it while the bike was idling. I have a CNS v2. So CCW is more air flow? Ok, will try that.

What about the right screw?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The two screws are for idle only, turn the idle screw to raise the slide in the carb. just keep it running and adjust it. If it bottoms out and still does not idle, turn the air screw ccw till it does.

Gary Harris

Jul 31, 2011
Houston
Clean the cable with brake cleaner or any Triclor, tin and solder it with at least a 40 watt iron and use a Dremmel cut off wheel to cut cables. Side cutters are bad news.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The problem I have discovered is the cable that comes with the kits with the cns2 carb are cables for the nt, I had a lot of slack in my cable with all adjustment took up. I took the blue plastic off of a spade wire connector split it down the side and put it in the housing at the twist grip. I didn't have to shorten the cable that way.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Ok, so if the carb adjustment doesn't work, it's likely the cable. Thanks guys, appreciate the help Every Time!