Really?

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
If you remember, I bought a GT50 R 50cc motor from Thatsdax a few weeks ago-after about 10 days, a head bolt pulled out and the motor stopped working. In the mean time, I ordered a GT50 R from them for a second bike project.

I installed this second motor and it lasted about 30 minutes before a clutch spring broke. Duane is sending me a new set of springs for this motor.

In the mean time- my first motor came back from being repaired and I installed that and couldn't get it to fire. I swapped out the CDI, sparkplug and carb from the second motor (with the broken clutch spring) onto the first motor and still couldn't get it to light off.

The only thing I am kinda peeved off about is that I asked for my motor to be bench tested before it was sent back to me and it was not checked to see if ran.

On the bright side.... I am getting really good at installing and uninstalling motors- I can swap out a motor in about 10 minutes.

I did send the first motor back to Duane and asked Duane to either fix it properly or refund my money......does this sound out of line? I realize stuff happens, but I am out 50 bucks from shipping the same motor back twice.

Kinda has me a little ticked off.

turbojoe

Mar 30, 2011
Little Rock,AR
Well, I certainly hope so because I also had to send my engine back again, too. I was under the impression when I bought it that they were good reliable engines but now it seems they are not. I wonder if I've invested in an expensive paper weight? I'm glad I decided to get my little Honda 4 stroke because that has been running like a champ.

saulsvilleb

Sep 2, 2009
WVa
I have two of these engines from different vendors and neither one has made it for more than two miles before the head bolts come loose or strip. I think the problem is overheating,It seems to be running really lean,plug is very light brown. I was thinking about trying to drill the main jet out, hope it will help. It looks like they just took a cheap engine and tried to make it high performance and it just may not hold up without a lot of work.

Diver

Sep 25, 2010
Seattle
When I have a hard time polishing turds I use TurdBrite- my new MB all-purpose general detergent. Gaurenteed to make me money- or your money back! Only 19.95- act now!

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Well....my first GT 50 R went back a second time. He is sending me a new engine that they will be carrying very soon in addition to either fixing or replacing my original engine.

I did take a ride today on the second GT50 R motor I own- I took it real easy as it was over 100 degrees and my second motor only has about 20 miles on it. I am running it really rich-using Opti2 at 30 to 1 for the first few tankfuls of gas. It smokes like a MFer at idle, but I am taking no chances with burning it up. I'm not a speed demon- I just want something that will putt along at 20-25 mph and do it all day long.

I like to take long rides :)

The new model of engine he is sending me to beta test is slightly less powerful but shouldn't have the same head bolt issues. Should be a cool little motor- I will be installing it on a Schwinn Moab 2 that I used to race.

This bike has disc brakes, I think I will be using on of the Kings disc brake adapters and top hat with a Thatsdax rear mounted chain drive. All I really need to do is save up some money.

I am a loyal Thatsdax customer- he really takes care of his customers. I am a part time computer consultant and use my bike to commute to local jobs. It's a real conversation starter, I've referred a few folks to Duane's site-not sure if he got any extra sales from me, but I sure hope so :)

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
See! I told ya! Now you've got a new motor that no one else has to try out and report on. So refreshing! This is how our hobby will go!

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Im with Diver, stop whineing and get on with it! Man you are luckey you were dealing with DAX. He is a standup guy, but do not take advantage of his generosity. Just saying!

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I'm not whining......if you spent over 400 dollars with a vendor for 2 motors and both of them developed problems within the first two weeks of ownership- what would you do?

I've spent over 50 dollars of my own money shipping one of the motors back to him *twice*. I was a little peeved by that point.

The fact that the guy is sending me a motor to try out is what's called "keeping your customer happy"

I own my own small business and if I was in a situation where something I provided to a client broke twice in 10 days...I'd be pretty proactive in trying to keep that customer happy-it's the cost of doing business.

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
If you'd read on these forums, DAX is a great vendor. You should try to fix things 1st before you spout out negative things about a vendor when its premature. It can hurt a vendor even if they lose just 1 sale.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I absolutely agree with you....but I don't have a machine shop. How am I supposed to fix a broken head bolt by myself? After Duane repaired the head bolt issue and returned it to me-it wouldn't start.

I replaced the sparkplug, CDI and carb off of the other running GT50 R I own and used starting fluid and just about every other trick in the book-no go, it wouldn't start. Hence, me having to send the engine back a second time.

The whole time this is going on, Duane couldn't have been nicer and more professional. I know that if he can't get it to start-he will either fix it or replace it.

I probably run across at least a dozen people a week that ask me about my bike-first thing I do is give them Duane's website address and explain to them how good his customer service is.

Sure, the first engine he sold me might be a dud- but I know for a fact he will make it right.

If I sell someone a computer and 3 days later it stops working-I don't tell them to try a bunch of stuff and hope it works-I go to their home of place of business and if I can't fix it- I replace it. It might be a huge hassle for me and cost me lost time and added expense-but that's *my* problem....not the customers.

If someone sells me an engine and it breaks 10 days after I buy it....how is that my problem? I expect the person I bought it from to make it right-and that's what Duane is doing.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well it sounds like you are at least getting the attention you deserve fixing those motors. Nice of a vendor to stand behind their offering. Well, not nice, it's important that they do!

Gosh they sure are nice looking little engines!
I looked at them again earlier today...

If the new version tests out well I might get one to run for a while.
I'll sell this MAB I have now soon as I know it's running tip-top and reliable.
Well, as reliable as an ht can be... lol
rc

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I am looking forward to using the new motor as well. I can tell you that the performance of the GT50 R is *incredible*. It's like a small motorcycle.....it's way more performance then I actually need. I'm betting this thing would hit 40 mph after it's broken in.

Me?

I won't be the guy trying to hit 40 mph.....20-25 mph is as fast as I like to go.

The smaller motor is going on my light weight Schwinn aluminum disc hardtail. I just gotta save up the cash for one of Duane's chain drive rear mount kits.