hard start

GoldenMotor.com

jake nielson

Mar 25, 2009
oregon
I've seen videos of people peddaling a couple times and the bike starts? my bikes have never started this easy. It's a year old,daily driver,new plug,new cdi,cleaned carburater,must pedal down hill for a block or so and give it full gas untill it finally will spark and then when it warms up it will run fine.but the starts are getting harder?????? is it just a old hard starting motor now?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
are your wiring connections soldered or did you just plug them in with the crappy terminals?

is your plug gapped correctly, and/or have you tried different size gaps to see what's best for your bike?

are you flooding it? choking it out? tickling it so much it doesn't wanna go? have you tried different ways to start it (choke off/half/on, no throttle, mid throttle, full throttle, tickler, no tickler?)

all of my bikes start up different. my main bike needs full choke and alot of pedaling, and my new bike starts in 5 feet with no choke.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Every engine I've had or had dealings with were different. Doesn't matter which plugs, gaps, choke settings or tickler (prime) they all require something different to start easily. They are as different in personality as the members on this forum...and I don't know why. Experimentation seems to be the only answer. Keep trying different things. maybe you'll find that sweet spot.
Low compression can be a culprit. Lots of miles and wear on the rings and cylinder walls can account for that. Maybe your engine is just really well broken in :) A year and a half is a lot of riding if it is as you say a 'daily driver'. Any guess as to how many miles or hours you have accrued? Have you changed anything such as octane rating in your gasoline, oil brand or ratio of oil to gas? Did it used to start easily and slowly get harder to fire?
Tom

Last edited: