1955-64? Raleigh Sports :: Dump Find

GoldenMotor.com

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Found a very rusty Raleigh leaning up next to a dumpster near the airport today. I haven't been able to pinpoint what year yet, but it was made in Nottingham. The front rim is original, but the back hub has been replaced, so no date help there. Looked in the other usual places for S# but no luck. Maybe I'll find something when I get it out into the daylight and start to break her down. She does have a perfect V frame, but it will have to be sandblasted. I may be able to spare the fenders, but I'm not planning to use them. Who knows? Looks like another project for me. I'd post some pictures but my wife is on holiday with the camera... and not me. :)

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Hey! I've got the mate to that bike .....a woman's about the same year i think... pretty complete, and probably has the rear wheel you need..... pm me if you need some parts.... David

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2009
new jersey
nice three speeds. my favorite type of bicycle-shifting-mechanism, forget about derailleurs, 3 speeds look so much cleaner/are simpler/stronger. the women's frame has a built-in coaster brake to. i'd estimate its from the late 70's, i know how fun dating bikes can be(it rolled off the line on someone's B-day, maybe it's yours...like the atari woody i found in april, didn't work, when i took it apart,found it was made on april 1). sturdy,well made high-end bikes. (i would keep her hideous but thats just me...)

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Hey! I've got the mate to that bike .....a woman's about the same year i think... pretty complete, and probably has the rear wheel you need..... pm me if you need some parts.... David
Let me think on that. Originally I was just going to turn her into a 1 speed with no fenders. Does your's have a SN on the hub? I've broken this one down and still haven't found one. : (

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
well no, just some patent #s and what looks like a date code of 73 8 ...says sturmey archer s3c found nothing else on the bike so far....fairly complete missing the rear reflector, stem bolt, and front brake, the rest is there...chrome is good on the rear hub and the cranks will clean up as would the paint i believe, but not the wheels.... anyway if you want it it will be cheap... some guy came in needing some parts for his 2 stroke and i traded for it...really just felt sorry for him but now i own it :) David

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I was just going to say I think the bike is newer than 55-64- in that day, the frame decal would've been different and in a script similar to the head plate on the steer tube- judging by the decal I would say about mid-70's so the '73 thing might be accurate-

I worked in a bike shop in the summers of '73 and '74 that sold Raleighs and that frame decal and paint color looks that period to me. In the '60s three speed "English Racers" as we called them, were most often painted black. They typically had a really ornate frame decal- almost Victorian.

Last edited:

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
After sandblasting the frame my son has warmed up the the old Raleigh and wants to use it for his next build. I think he likes the fact that there will be no engine/frame work. Pretty much just mount and go. He's gonna paint it and turn it into a one speed.

I, on the other hand, just picked up another vintage one on CL for $20. It's complete and has been garage kept.

Doesn't look bad... for $20...