oil on top of the head

GoldenMotor.com

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
it appears that the oil gas mix ..which is heavy due to breaking in is comming thru the head bolts on top of the head..i'm assuming i had a blown head gasket. i unbolted the head ..is there jusat suppose to be a metall head gasket? i've read man.shft.y a thread with menbers talking about paper or cloth gaskets. what are you suppose to do ..is there a missing gasket on my motor?do i use copper gasket spray...what do i tourque the head bolts to?

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've had the same problem but mine wasn't the head gasket, it was the cylinder base gasket. Pressure inside the case was blowing oil up the bolt and out.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The aluminum gasket is all you should have. Are you sure it's not just leaking through the spark plug gasket? (common).

You know you should NOT be running 16:1 or anything close to that, right? 24:1 at most for a tank or so, then go to 32:1 or 40:1.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
head torque is only,""ONLY"" ,OnLy,,12 ft pounds at the most,,That is like a good grip on a screw-driver handle,,,,,,,I think that is the right number for the torque,others can varify it

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
joe you might be right also...does that mean i did not have the plug in tight enough? also i was thinking of replacing the head washers with brass for better seal...any responces?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have measured the torque that a bran new slant head came with I believe Pablo did as well . I found mine to be at 20 foot pounds new. I try to shoot for about 15 at the least.

As for the spark plug I did run into my first motor having a slight casting defect where I had to over torque the spark plug to get it to seal it made me nervous, but finally worked. Spark plugs are about 16 foot pounds.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
A couple things:

Since you have the head off, make sure it's absolutely flat. Many aren't, and if it's as gross as some, no amount of torque will make it stop leaking. You can lap it flat on a piece of sand paper on some flat glass (ask how).

If you have good studs, and real nuts, with M8X1.0 studs you can exceed 15 ft-lbs. With the acorn nuts and stock studs, 12 is about max. What size studs do you have?

Use an aluminum gasket. I use a SBP gasket and Al filled spray paint.

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
pablo..it is a new grubee slant head..don't know what stud size it is.i have decided to follo all the good advice..12 lbs on stock studs for nhead and will do same on spark plug

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I would not use brass washers. The stud size is generally 6mm or 8mm. If you removed the plug, the crush washer may just be......crushed, and you'll need to replace it.

xzackx

Jun 30, 2010
morgan county, OH
i have the exact same problem too but i used 16:1 for my 1st gallon of gas im goin to used 24:1 for the next and tighten my sparkplug a little bit what do you think i should do?

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
i have the exact same problem too but i used 16:1 for my 1st gallon of gas im goin to used 24:1 for the next and tighten my sparkplug a little bit what do you think i should do?
i just put new head gasket plus permatex tightened with a torque wrench..pightened spark plug..looks like after a short run i'm still getting oil up thru the head spuds!!!!!!!!!!!tell me what happens with you.shft.

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
A couple things:

Since you have the head off, make sure it's absolutely flat. Many aren't, and if it's as gross as some, no amount of torque will make it stop leaking. You can lap it flat on a piece of sand paper on some flat glass (ask how).

If you have good studs, and real nuts, with M8X1.0 studs you can exceed 15 ft-lbs. With the acorn nuts and stock studs, 12 is about max. What size studs do you have?

Use an aluminum gasket. I use a SBP gasket and Al filled spray paint.
PABLO;i have 8x1.0 studs..but couldn't find the 8x1.0 fine thread nuts so until then i'am using the acorn nuts..what can i torque the head to?cvlt1

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
i just put new head gasket plus permatex tightened with a torque wrench..pightened spark plug..looks like after a short run i'm still getting oil up thru the head spuds!!!!!!!!!!!tell me what happens with you.shft.
Then I'm fairly certain your head is not near flat enough. When I shift I go into a gear or two higher or lower!

=oldsurfer said:
PABLO;i have 8x1.0 studs..but couldn't find the 8x1.0 fine thread nuts so until then i'am using the acorn nuts..what can i torque the head to?
I wouldn't go over 12, but no amount of tightening will make it seal if it's not flat enough. In fact that's a sign that it isn't flat. When you take the head off again, check it with a straight edge or an indicator if you know how.

Get a good piece of glass. A sheet of medium emery paper, lay paper on glass and motivate in a figure 8. Hold the head in nice and flat position. Remove some material, clean and repeat with some fine paper. The idea is to remove the high spots, remove material and make the mating surface flat. Never sand without full and flat contact. I use wet sanding, but dry will work as well. Wash the head very well when complete.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
http://dazhefastener.com/image/waster/LOCK WASHER.jpg
This is a washer that seams to work pretty good for me.
Do tighten evenly in an x pattern. Just like a weed whacker engine the head will need to be re torqued periodically. I always lock tight the engine cylinder studs into the block. For that for some one experimenting use blue lock tight. I use red because I don't intend to take them out or watch them rattle loose again. When I said 15 foot pounds I wasn't saying tease it any harder torque than that.

oldsurfer

May 21, 2010
thousand oaks,,,ca
I Used 16;1 Because It Told Me To...but Changed To 22:1..after A 1/4 Tank...16;1 Is Toooooo Much...think On The Next Fill I'll Try 32;1,,,think All That Oil Must Effect Power And Smoothness Of The Running...tip I Torqued The Head To 15/lbs And Snugged The Spark Plug,,,,ran It For A Mile ...seems Good Now....tell Me What Happens To You