Chrome cleaning and derusting

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I have a chrome fender I want to put on my current build. Need to find out how to clean the chrome (the old cola and alminum foil trick?). The fender has some oxidation and small pin-hole rust spots here and there. I tried to clean a little part of it and so far most of the oxidation and rust spots sem to come off with a regular dry rag rubbed vigorously. But what do I do after the chrome is clean and gleaming again to keep it that way because one or two wet days and the tiny rust spots will no doubt come back? Car wax, clearcoat,.....? Any suggestions?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
get a can of NEVRDULL chrome polish. it's cotton wadding saturated with some magic stuff. it's like 5 bucks at ace hardware. works great on light rust, aluminum, copper, brass, etc...

for tougher rust i use steel wool. once the rust eats through the chrome on fenders, though, they've had it.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You can always clearcoat the fenders after you remove the rust. You may want to treat them with Phosphoric Acid first to neutralize the rust.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the tips guys. I definitely gotta look into NEVERDULL. There's Ace in my city and I hope they carry it here in Canada as some products that you guys get in the U.S. we don't here and vice versa.

As for clearcoating my only concern is adhesion unless I scuff the fender with some 600 grit sandpaper or something finer BUT then since you're not scuffing and clearcoating regular paint but chrome instead you'll be able to see the fine sandpaper marks/scratches on the chrome especially in direct sunlight wouldn't you?

While they're far from my favorite (rust never sleeps unless it's totally removed to bare metal) I've used rust neutralizers before on cars and they turn the rust dark/black in color which is fine but in my case the rust spots on the fender are so fine and finely speckled here and there and they clean up so well that I probably don't need to go that far once I decide what sort of protective coat to use (like the clearcoat) after I have the fender all cleaned.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well I don't think a clear coat will ever stick I could be wrong? I bet keeping it waxed would help but what a pain. I run my bikes hard and put them away wet to much.