Best Aftermarket Chain Tensor

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I don't know for sure if it will fit #41 or #415, but I bet it would: Some folks use a wheel from a rear derailleur tensioner. Some of them have a ball bearing, and some have a sleeve and cupped washers to serve as a bearing.

Last edited:

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
yeah i have heard of the bicycle derailer tensioner idea thingy

since bike chain is not like number 41 or 415 the whole idea sounds sketchy to me

and before someone asks I say 41 or 415 because i use 41 and 41 chain will work on a 415 sprocket well (same roller diameter and spacing) but 41 IS wider so a 415 chain will NOT work with a 41 sprocket

hence the signature

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Last edited:

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The TSC one above w/the slight deflection at the down tube and the solid main idler support should work ,,,I still think the support idler should span accross both the seat and chain stays,then it can't get to the spokes,, it still supports the chain when starting the motor(lots of down pushing torque on the idler),,

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
i dont quite exactly understand what you are saying

i cant even tell if you are talkin about makin one that will work for 2 or 4 strokes

maybe gearnut can come and translate for me lol

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
we're talking about chain tentioners?,,,I'm refering to the second click on link in # 25 above,but saying the down force on the lower part of the chain when starting the motor against the idler(tentioner)wheel mounted on the chain stay rotates it into the spokes,so a tentioner/idler plate (that the wheel is in the slot on)mounted accross both the upper seat and lower chain stays stops the wheel from rolling into the spokes when starting or letting off throtle

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I guess that is a 4 stroke looking at the pic looks like the same tentioner on the chain stay as used on the 2 stroke I was refering too

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If it is a 2 cycle and you have to clutch start it ,you "need" the solid support on the lower part of the chain ,,,,a spring tentioner "only" will allow exsess play in the top chain possibly allowing it to bunch up and inter the small (10 tooth) area locking the engine or worse ,damage the drive wheel/shaft(thread on here about 10 tooth wheel woobles),,,,,the spring teneioner should only be taking up the extra 3/4 inch play (to quiet it down)that is needed in the chain drive set-up