MIG Welding TV show

GoldenMotor.com

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
This weekend Saturday and Sunday Feb. 13th and 14th, there will be a show on Spike TV channel about MIG welding technique, welder purchase choices/shielding gas and the like. I see that many people are considering a MIG and don't know which way to go. I have not seen this episode but they are usually quite informative. The advertisement is linked below.

Mac

PowerBlock TV | February 9th, 2010

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Heh heh heh..... I just turn mine on, adjust the heat and the wire speed to where it doesn't dissapear up into the gun, and melt metal together.
Afterwords I sit back, admire my hideous booger welds, and wonder if they will actually hold.

I need practice for sure........

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Yea, most of us get by with the splash and go technique of welding I watch these shows every weekend, just figured if someone who knows very little about the basics of welding, this show may enlighten them a bit.
I's all for the cause!!

Mac

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
With a little bit of proper instruction and practice you can get decent quality welds. I showed my wife how to MIG weld, then she burned up all my wire and gas practicing. A full bottle of 75/25 runs about $80 and the big spool of copper coated wire runs $135. I don't let her use it anymore. I'll be sure to tell her about the show on t.v., though. Besides, I get tired of her watching that stupid horse channel all the time.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I just bought one of those 120v flux core welders from Harbor Freight.....
I shoulda sprung for the 220v one and used gas.....This one sucks....Really only good for sheet metal I beleive, or I just can`t figure this one out yet....I`ve tried welding 2 peices of 1/8" flat stock and it won`t stick to the bottom peice and wants to burn up the top peice....Low power setting and wire speed is at 1.5 to 2......I think I just need to practice ALOT more....

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
Sweet im watching this! i cant wait to get my own little welder for home! iv been welding for 3 years and i cant wait to make a profession out of it :D

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
DD, Careful what you ask for, I welded in a shipyard, for sure a young persons job, crawling thru tanks dragging you wire feeder..Auugggg! But being able to weld well takes practice. This show is only the basics, my only comment, the welder controls the weld, not the machine, you don,t have to push the process, adjust it to where you need it, kind of feel and hear when it's right. Yes the 220vac gives you more omph. I've used a Lincoln 125 110vac(Baby welder) when I go out to do a job, small tank, easy to carry, I use .035" 70s solid wire, If I prep the job I cab Multi pass just about anything. 220 is just nicer. Oh BTW, that innershield gasless wire is yuchie, only use in a pinch, stick with shielded, cleaner and eaiser(with gas).
Mac

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
...Oh BTW, that innershield gasless wire is yuchie, only use in a pinch, stick with shielded, cleaner and eaiser(with gas).
Mac
Excellent point. Flux core is only cheaper if your time and frustration is not counted and you get your grinding wheels for free. However, if that price difference is the difference between no welder and a welder, but more grinding....well, I can see that.

Last edited:

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Most trade schools offer short night courses in welding. They are good as they are interactive. Learning differant methods an insight to various types of metals, heating and electrodes. The courses are usually very reasonable considering you can use the knowlege forever. Many employers will pick up the tab even if it is not directly job related. By all means watch the program. If I had a tv I'd watch it. Perhaps I can get them them to tune it in at the sports bar.

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
DD, Careful what you ask for, I welded in a shipyard, for sure a young persons job, crawling thru tanks dragging you wire feeder..Auugggg! But being able to weld well takes practice. This show is only the basics, my only comment, the welder controls the weld, not the machine, you don,t have to push the process, adjust it to where you need it, kind of feel and hear when it's right. Yes the 220vac gives you more omph. I've used a Lincoln 125 110vac(Baby welder) when I go out to do a job, small tank, easy to carry, I use .035" 70s solid wire, If I prep the job I cab Multi pass just about anything. 220 is just nicer. Oh BTW, that innershield gasless wire is yuchie, only use in a pinch, stick with shielded, cleaner and eaiser(with gas).
Mac
ya i know what you mean im no newbie i have a great teacher and i dont mind that flux core it just takes practice. I live in an ag community so i plan on doing more around town jobs and maybe building tankers for semi's for ruen. .bf.