Suspension Seat Post That Doesn't Wobble?

GoldenMotor.com

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I got one from Kmart, has very little side movement. Completely acceptable to me. Sure looks like the one you linked to.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Here is some photos I found...

I used a 1" seat post and a 7/8" seat post, spring, washer and a bolt.

The 7/8 post slides in the 1" seat post

the washer butted up against a small piece of 7/8 seat tube welded to the 1" seat tube to hold the washer in place.

The seat tubes have a channel slotted completely through them for the bolt. This eliminates the seat from wobbling and spinning and to keep the seat from lifting up. Once the bolt is through just cut the head off and grind down so it all slides in the seat tube of the frame.

A little more to it but that's basically it. I cant seem to find any pics yet of the bolt and slotted channels I made.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The seat tubes have a channel slotted completely through them for the bolt. This eliminates the seat from wobbling and spinning and to keep the seat from lifting up. Once the bolt is through just cut the head off and grind down so it all slides in the seat tube of the frame.
What I meant to say was the 7/8 seat tube has a channel slotted the same width as the bolt, the 1" has a hole drilled for the bolt.

It's hard to see but what I am pointing out is the bolt shaft that goes through the 1'seat tube and through the channel of the 7/8 tube that is inside that cannot be seen.

Attachments

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
What I meant to say was the 7/8 seat tube has a channel slotted the same width as the bolt, the 1" has a hole drilled for the bolt.

It's hard to see but what I am pointing out is the bolt shaft that goes through the 1'seat tube and through the channel of the 7/8 tube that is inside that cannot be seen.
Thanks for the instructions, I don't know how I'd make a slot in the tube, what type of tool did you use to do that.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I've never used or seen the inside of a store bought one so not sure how they are put together. It would seem like something could be done to fix the wobble.

Wish I had one to see what can be done about it.

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
I've never used or seen the inside of a store bought one so not sure how they are put together. It would seem like something could be done to fix the wobble.

Wish I had one to see what can be done about it.
I tightened the thing so tight last night to try to get it to stop wobbling that I can't make the thing budge now. The metal tube on the top that goes into the metal tube on the bottom had a piece of plastic with grooves in it attached. You can only slide the top post into the bottom post by lining up the grooves. I'll take pics if I ever get it taken apart again, I need a vice or something to hold it cause my hands aren't doing the trick right now.