Thoughts on centrifugal & pull start

GoldenMotor.com

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Not a bad price at all - $150 for a slant-head 80cc (really 67cc) engine kit, that comes pre-packaged with a centrifugal clutch and a pull-starter...

I paid somewhere around $150 for my 80/67cc engine kit several months back, and it didn't come with the centrifugal clutch or the pull-starter. I've never felt the need for the c-clutch, but I ended up buying a pull-starter for about $20 plus shipping from eBay.

So, if you're thinking about those pieces as upgrades anyway, that's probably a pretty good deal. From what I saw, it looks like no refunds and no warranty, though.

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Oops you also asked about advantages to pull-starters and centrifugal clutches...

The pull-starter would allow you to crank the engine more easily in cold weather (you can crank it and then go back inside to let the engine warm up without having to pedal around). That's the reason I bought one. I'll probably take it off again when it warms up in a few months (*IF* it ever gets warm outside again).

I don't have a centrifugal clutch, but from what I understand, it allows you to pay less attention to your clutch lever. For example, when you slow down to a stop, you wouldn't need to pull in the clutch in order to keep the engine from stalling.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Oops you also asked about advantages to pull-starters and centrifugal clutches...

The pull-starter would allow you to crank the engine more easily in cold weather (you can crank it and then go back inside to let the engine warm up without having to pedal around). That's the reason I bought one. I'll probably take it off again when it warms up in a few months (*IF* it ever gets warm outside again).

I don't have a centrifugal clutch, but from what I understand, it allows you to pay less attention to your clutch lever. For example, when you slow down to a stop, you wouldn't need to pull in the clutch in order to keep the engine from stalling.
This is exactly why I will be needing a pull start and cent for all the stops around my city..Witch reminds me,the other night I was riding having some fun in the snow storm bout' 8 inches of snow down a mile long icy snowy trail all went good until I slid and the motor shut off..Let me tell ya its no fun trying to start a single speed up in that much snow!

From what I've heard you need approx. 1 1/2 clearance on each side due to the crank? I have a 3 piece crankset right now but my crank arms stick out far enough witch might just give me enough clearance.. Thanks for the input Cannon.

Cannonfish

Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
Right on, 1.5 inches is about right I think. I originally had aluminum cranks that were way too narrow for the pull-starter. I switched the left one out for a steel crank of about the same length (courtesy of my local bike shop), and then bent an outward "swerve" into it using a bench-vise. Worked really well.