Auto-Locking Clutch Handle.

GoldenMotor.com

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I mentioned it before a while ago, but I finally got around to making a video of my auto-locking clutch. I have a hole drilled through a standard brake handle, with a bolt going through. There's a plate that pivots on that bolt, with a spring wound around it.

Youtube Video

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Really slick idea.
How about posting a close up picture, or a how to make your own thread?
It looks like you were using your pinky finger to un-latch it to release it ?
All American ingenuity. Great job !!
TiM

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I usually unlock it by clicking it back forward with my thumb (I used my pinky in the video because I was holding it backwards). I'll post some closeups later on how it works. It can be made easily with a drill press and a die grinder/dremel.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That really is fantastic Pilot!

As GN said, you should consider making those for sale. You would be doing the community a great service.

I really, really hate the flimsy %$&&*$* kit ones!

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I agree, great idea! I hate the stock locking clutch since in the "locked" position it is barely engaged.

Since I have to get a new brake lever for my drum brake that is coming in next week, I might as well get a pair and do this on the clutch side. Thanks for the great idea!

I think I will reverse the operation on mine, though, and have the locking function be manual and auto-unlock when the lever is pulled. As in, pull the lever, flick the lock to engage. Then pull the lever again to auto-disengage. Maybe I am just an oddball, but the majority of the time I pull in my clutch is in situations where I am not looking to lock it. We have a bunch of stop signs around here, so a whole lot of short term clutch activation...

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I love mechanical, 'clicky' things like that. It also has a nice precision sound to it instead of that annoying tinny sound the stock lever has.
Good job. Thanks for sharing your ingenuity.

Tom

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
LOVE IT MAN! I have always thought the locking button on the clutch worked backward, I want it to lock automatically when I pull it in and manually unlock when I want to release it. Your design looks really great, hope you shared it here because you don't mind us copying your work? I would probably buy one from you if you made them for sale, but will be hot on the trail to make my own sometime soon if not....
Thanks for sharing...

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
I may make them for sale in the future, but I do not mind if people copy my design. That's why I posted it, to inspire people to make their own. I'll get some detailed photos of it soon. Thank you for all the positive comments!

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Pics:

If I produced these to sell, I would likely use steel rod pressed into the handle instead of screws, and I would make the locking plate out of higher-quality aluminium and put a better finish on it. Our neighbour has a milling machine, it would be nice if I could get him to make me some perfect ones instead of using a dremel to cut the channel into it. Or, I could just use some strips of aluminium already the right size and do a better job of cutting straight lines.