New to the Motorized Bike World

GoldenMotor.com

elchucko13

Jul 26, 2011
Guess
I completed a build on a Trex bike. I purchased a kit from Motorized Bike Parts. It's an 80 (66) cc kit. The muffler failed the first day. The body of the muffler where it meets the exhaust tube connected to the engine separated. I cannot get the muffler to stay connected to the head. The bolts even 2 on each side come loose. This has caused the exhaust gasket to blow. The spark plug wire connector is a "hokey" thing. It needs to be replaced with a better one. I've tried to find a Z4C spark plug replacement but to no avail. Otherwise the kit seems to be OK. It runs and idles good and seems to have enough power to run 35 mph. I've left a message with Motorized Bike Parts about the muffler...haven't heard back. Are these people reliable? Can you give me any pointers on these comments? Thanks

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Sounds like a new muffler is in order, obviously. I would suggest figuring out a way to secure the muffler to the frame closer to the exhaust exit. This will take the load off the header and help it resist all the crazy vibrations. If you do a search, you should find some ideas on how to accomplish it. I, personally run the SBP expansion chamber, so I haven't done it myself. As for the plug wire, a NGK motorcycle wire should do just fine. I picked mine up from a local moped dealer. Any motorcycle shop should be able to help you on that one.

Also, the header bolts can be removed and replaced with some Grade 5 or Grade 8 studs and nuts/lock washers.

Arnold Layne

Dec 3, 2010
Nebraska
Welcome elch, I had some gasket troubles too, made an aluminum gasket about the same thickness and it works real nice, you can also buy them. usflg