Is this right?

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
Since it's my first time riding a motorized bike I have a few questions.

1. When I come to a stop sign I let out my clutch and use my brakes to stop, but my motor revs uncontrollably when I let out the clutch. Is it supposed to do that? For now I've just been killing the motor when I'm coming to a stop and starting it when I take off again.

2. I've noticed that when I rev up to go faster the idle doesn't go down, even when I turn the throttle back to the lowest setting, it only idles down after I apply my brakes a little to slow it down. Is this correct? I thought it would be like a motorcycle and it would slow down when I let off the gas.

Thanks guys.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
There is something wrong. You may have an air leak. Check to make sure air can't get in between the carb and the engine. If it's all sealed, there may be more serious problems. Search around for the symptoms of not idling and such, there are quite a few threads on it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is your throttle cable routed so there are no sharp bends or kinks?
Remove the air filter and look down the inlet throat of the carburetor while twisting the throttle. Watch to see that the moving part ( the barrel or slide ) if you have a two stroke engine with a standar NT carb, is moving freely and returning to the closed position when you let off the twist grip.
If everything looks good then start looking for an air leak. The carb to intake manifold is the first place to check then where the manifold attaches to the cylinder. There are other places but let's start with the simple and most common first.

It helps us if you tell us what kind or engine/carburetor you have. Otherwise we have to make guesses.
Tom

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
standard little 2-stroke kit from BGF.

I think I know where my air leak is, lol.

I was only able to get the spark plug finger tight since I can't seem to fit a wrench in there to tighten it down (I need a new wrench), and I was just trying to see if I could get it to fire up. 10 to 1 says that if I tighten the plug down it will fix the problem ;)

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
got plug tightened down and it runs properly. i'm figuring it out a little bit at a time.

also got a better kickstand today and added a rear hand-brake.