50cc vs. 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I'm going to buy a Raw motor and I'm on the fence on which displacement to go with. I'm leaning toward the 50cc just to be legal. How much of a real world power loss am I looking at if any? Also has anyone dealt with Raw.com? I already got an automated operator so that's one strike right off the bat.

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
I have a Raw 66 and so does a friend of mine. Both of us are well satisfied with the motors. We live in an area with lots of hills and the extra power is nice. My 50cc Grubee pulls the hills also, but not as fast. I got good response from the sales manager on 2 emails I sent. One was sent on a Saturday and even answered the same day. Shipping was also prompt and shipping cost was reasonable.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
thanks you guys are awesome! I want to try a Raw just because some credible members suggested it and I'm not super impressed with my Grubee.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Go with Raw motors all the way....Its by far the best engine I have owned....Ive been running it for a year and 1/2 now and it just keeps getting better....It pulls great on the hills....And like someone else said,there is no way they can tell if its a 66cc or a 50cc unless they want to break down the motor and check the displacment....And they wont do that on little criminals like up lol....
John

Last edited:

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I have some miles on the Raw 50cc and it is hands down smoother than the Grubee 66cc but it alot less pulling power. I cleaned up and matched all the ports, trimmed the head, and opened up the tranfer ports because the sleeve had them almost half way closed off. I probably have a 100 miles on it and I haven't even had to tighten a single fastner. On the Grubee I had to stop and retighten something during almost every ride. I'm not slamming Grubee, they have a very good kit but the vibration on the Grubee is something I'm not going to deal with if I don't have to.
Now I'm curious if the vibration is due to the displacement or the brand. My theory was that they just put a bigger piston the the 50cc bottom end and for whatever reason caused the heavy vibration I am experiencing. Maybe I just got a bad one or like one of the threads said the timing is the cause of the issue. I wonder if an offset key from a snowmobile could be made to fit?

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
"There's no replacement for displacement"

There is paper power and Real-world power. Lots of people claim that their 49cc are just as fast or faster then some of the bigger 66cc's. This is simply not true and I laugh to myself. Stock vs stock the 66cc will win, modified vs modified the 66cc will win. Engines with a bigger displacement will always have better speed and power to get up them hills. The same law of physics applies here just like in bigger motorcycles.

Vibration can be caused more if the engine is poorly mounted, my grubee doesn't vibrate till around 35mph.

Last edited: