Clutch Cable Guide

GoldenMotor.com

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
The one directly underneath the carb. Why is there a locknut on it. It looks to me like it would be better to just let it free float; it's not like it's going anywhere with a cable running through it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
over time, it'd be working itself back and forth, and metal shavings could fall into the clutch shaft which is underneath it, and if it stripped out it could pop out.

look at it this way. that nut ain't hurting anything, so why mess with it?

Hammond Egger

Oct 23, 2010
Tucson, AZ
It hurt my clutch cable. The angle where it exits the guide to hook up to the clutch lever is so sharp it wore the cable in two in less than 20 miles. Can't have disengaged the clutch a dozen times. Can't decrease the angle because the knurled part of it is hitting the clutch housing. I've read that you can take the clutch lever off and reposition it but I didn't have any luck trying that.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
It hurt my clutch cable. The angle where it exits the guide to hook up to the clutch lever is so sharp it wore the cable in two in less than 20 miles. Can't have disengaged the clutch a dozen times. Can't decrease the angle because the knurled part of it is hitting the clutch housing. I've read that you can take the clutch lever off and reposition it but I didn't have any luck trying that.
I break the shap edges of the guide with a counter-sink for that reason.I also cut the arm off the shaft and ad a piece to it so that it lines up better.
I also round off the end of the screw that holds the clutch cable,so it is less likely to fray.
Someone out there used to offer a longer clutch arm for that reason and it makes the clutch pull easier!Kip.
[email protected]

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Can you post some pics.You shouldn't be having that much trouble!
How's it line up height wise?that adjuster that holds the cable should be backed out so that the end is just inside the stud.
I wouldn't let it float you could leave it loose,then adjust your clutch and lock your lever.
Then lock it down.If you leave it loose you are going to be pulling on your threads every time you use your clutch and those aluminum threads will eventually fail.
Is your cable kinked,how's your clutch cable routed? it has to flow as freely as possible.
Is the cable lubricated inside?
I have a method that works very well PM me and I'll explain it to you!Kip.
[email protected]