Fitting a springer fork to a short head tube?

GoldenMotor.com

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
I have a Schwinn style springer and want to fit it to a bike with a short head tube. I know there are short steering tubes available, or I can shorten the one I have. The problem I foresee is the angle of the bend in the ring (spring head assembly) seems to bind, if it is pushed down the steering tube. How is this problem overcome?

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
I've tried the spacers, but an 1 1/2" of stacked spacers looks haywired. They must deal with the ring angle when a shorter steering tube is installed on the springer.

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
I had a 4 inch spacer on mine. Then I just cut the springer head tube. My ring angle was all messed up and I couldnt start the bolt into it so I drilled out the threaded hole in the ring so I could slide the bolt threw and I put a nut on it.

Ive found that if you use spacers it makes your bike really wobbly. Shortening the tube tightened it up alot.

:)

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I went through this trying to fit a suspension fork to my wife's mountain bike that had a 4" long head tube. I couldn't find anybody that could cut the threads further down the steering tube to allow it to fit my wife's ATB. I found a suspension fork that allowed you to change the steering tube. I ordered a short Marzocchi steering tube from EBay and it all worked good.
I don't think you will find a springer fork with an interchangeable head tube. You will likely need to have your steering tube cut, shortened and rewelded.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The problem I foresee is the angle of the bend in the ring (spring head assembly) seems to bind, if it is pushed down the steering tube. How is this problem overcome?
You can put it in a vice & carefully bend it with a hammer to the angle you need. The metal is kinda soft & will bend. Don't go crazy bending it!!!!!!
Also... thread a bolt into the hole (so the threads keep their shape) before bending!!!

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
You can put it in a vice & carefully bend it with a hammer to the angle you need. The metal is kinda soft & will bend. Don't go crazy bending it!!!!!!
Also... thread a bolt into the hole (so the threads keep their shape) before bending!!!
This sounds like the answer I'm looking for. Good tip to save the threads. Thanks everyone!