50 to 44 tooth swap

GoldenMotor.com

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Hey guys, i recently changed my rear sprocket of my 49cc 2 stroke after breaking the engine in, from a 50 to a 44 tooth. The original setup i got a top speed of about 32/33mph. I swaped the 44 expecting to gain a little speed, but it tops out right aobut the same, around 32mph or so. Whats goin on? First of all, i only weigh 125 pounds, so i know there is no weight issue. i have heard people saying they hit 40mph. Do i need a smaller sprocket? maybe a 41 tooth? i also headrt that the 41 tooth is perfect for 49cc engines, reduces vibes and increases to top max speed. Is that true? any help would be appreciated. Also I am using a 24 inch tire if that makes a difference..... Thanks....De.shft.rks

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
when i had my 2 stroke i went from the 44 to the 36 tooth i was able to hit 45 mph doing that and takeing the baffle outa the exhaust word of advice though starting becomes harder u have to pedal up to a pretty good speed and u wont climb a hill or take off as fast but u will go faster from experince
and with my 4 stroke went from the 44 tooth to the 50 couldnt climb a hill for the life of me without going up so its at the perfect middle ground lotsa speed decent ability to go up a hill

well hope this helps

ps dax should sell um

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...The original setup i got a top speed of about 32/33mph. I swaped the 44 expecting to gain a little speed, but it tops out right aobut the same, around 32mph or so. Whats goin on? First of all, i only weigh 125 pounds, so i know there is no weight issue. i have heard people saying they hit 40mph...
...and this is exactly why we're so hard on unsubstantiated speed claims - while what you've gotten for speed is pretty much normal out of a stock kit & it's not impossible to hit 40mph - just doing a sprocket swap is in no way gonna do it, it takes quite a bit of tinkerin' and a few aftermarket performance parts for the average HT 2 smoker, a heck of a lot of tinkerin' for the 49cc. Yet when peeps jump in here and blithely throw around w/e speeds they think sound impressive or even just "guessing" what speeds they think they're going - it gives folks false expatations and disapointment, they think their engine is a dud or something.

Weight and sprockets mostly effect acceleration & cruise RPM, your "0-30" if you will, it's overcoming wind resistance and parasitic drag that's the problem when discussing top speeds - and simply put, that takes more power (and/or drag reduction)... there's no way around it.

Your speeds sound just about right Derks (actually pretty good for a 49cc), check out our High Performance Bicycle Engine Tips section for some tips and tricks to get the most outa yer motor... yankin' baffles out mostly just annoys the neighbors, unless you've the catalytic converter it's really not unduly restrictive - it's just not a proper exhaust system for a two stroke, you need a tuned expansion chamber to get a real power increase. People commonly mistake noise for power is all ;)

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You bike won't go any faster with the smaller sprocket because you have gear it to where it can't get to it's power peak....if you gear even higher, you will gain nothing.

If you are getting 33mph out of a 50cc kit, you are doing quite well.

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
i only hit 22 mph.. with the 44T and a 49cc chinese 2 stroke... WTF

i don't understand how everyone else posts such high speeds, I can't even get to 25 mph

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Because the are full of you-know-what, or they have an inaccurate way of reading their speed. Having said that, I will say this- some engines will rev, and some won't.

I am not calling anybody a liar, so don't get your panties in a bunch. The first bike I built, I SWEAR would go 45 mph as clocked by two cars, most called me a liar, and the rest of the bikes I built wouldn't even come close to that speed. I wish I had that engine now that I have GPS.

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Hey guys, thanks for the info..... If you say that im running as quick as i can I believe ya.
And with reguards to tbhe top speed.... like i said, i have seen others post 40 mph, and when i said i top out around 33 or so, i wast guessing. I have a correctly calibrated speedo, and have had my brother tail me in his truck and confirmed it. There is no reason to lie. But thanks for all the help guys! Ill just keep fine tunin!!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
i only hit 22 mph.. with the 44T and a 49cc chinese 2 stroke... WTF

i don't understand how everyone else posts such high speeds, I can't even get to 25 mph
This too is not particularly uncommon, without checkin' out the bike it's just wild guesswork but I'd do the basic check for air leaks (if you've not already) and some simple manifold port-matching: http://motorbicycling.com/f13/basic-porting-time-fer-teh-lolz-16646-2.html#post164391 to start with.

While some engines are just "duds" many of them (read most) just need a good going over ta get the sloppy outa 'em :)

Derks, lol - we don't think yer stretching the truth any as yer speed sounds about right/slightly bettrn' average - & 40+ isn't impossible either, it's just being the internet... well... ya know how it goes laff

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
"Derks, lol - we don't think yer stretching the truth any as yer speed sounds about right/slightly bettrn' average - & 40+ isn't impossible either, it's just being the internet... well... ya know how it goes"

Yea, Deffinitly some fibbers.....