Finally Running! (But that doesnt mean I'm done asking questions :p)

GoldenMotor.com

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
So after many painful weeks, the bike finally turned over without the chain flying off and without destroying the rear tire! I was putting around, just about everything seems to be running pretty well, but there were some concerns I had.

I had read somewhere on here that the engine itself shouldnt get hot enough that water/spit will sizzle on it, mine does.
Theres a little bit of white smoke from my exhaust, is that normal?
Also, either my carb was put together wrong, or something is weird is going on with my choke. After warming it up, I pushed the choke down into the OFF position, but when I gave it throttle, the engine would die down. I tried raising the choke a little and giving it a little gas, and found that about 3/4 of the way up on the choke, it seems to run smoothly. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks so much for all the help! Theres no way I could of built this without everyone here, hopefully I'll be fully tuned up and ready for some serious rides!!!
cvlt1

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The smoke is fairly normal with 2-strokes, hence the nickname 2-smokers.

I don't think your choke is the problem, it sounds like you have an air leak some where and when you track that down it will solve the "choke" problem. The choke simple closes off the air supply to the intake. If the choke is all the way open, or off, and the motor dies then it is getting too much air and not enough fuel. This is called a lean condition and will cause the motor to run hotter than it should be.

Find the air leak and both issues should be resolved.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
my motors get hot enough to burn skin. i never spit on it, but i've ridden through a few puddles before and steamed it up. as long as your plug looks good it should be fine. plug should be a nice cocoa color, but with a new engine during break-in, it'll probably be more of a dark brown if it's running right. you just want to stay away from running it too lean, which'll make your plug white-ish, and that'll make your motor run hotter.

the smoke is just the oil burning with the gas, and is normal.

and an airleak would cause the choke problem, like the above post said. check around the mounting areas for the intake and the carb. you might have to make some new gaskets and seal it all up, or you might just have to tighten some bolts.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Sounds like it is running lean because of an air leak. Did your kit come with a gasket that goes between the carb an the intake? Mine didn't so I ended up just using an o-ring that fit.

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Just found this out, if I tighten the carb to the intake, the throttle will lock up when i engage it. in order for the throttle to work properly, I need to leave the carb on "loose".

There isnt a gasket that goes between the carb and intake, ill swing to the hardware store and see what I can find.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
The throttle isn't supposed to act like that. I would find the problem with the carb and why it does that. Mine doesn't act like that.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'm gonna say you have a busted carb. the only way the clamp that holds the carb. to the intake could be putting pressure on the internal slide in the carb. would be if the carb. body is broken and/or cracked between the clamping area and the slide bore, take the carb off remove the cap over the slide piston and then remove the slide and needle assembly, while looking into the bore start tightening the clamp that secures it to the intake tube and as you tighten it look very close to see if you can see a slight fractor in the slide bore, if so you are ready for a new carb. sounds like a faulty area in the casting or a stress fractor from vibration, I've heard of the carbs. breaking right off of these engine on rare occas. Good luck and hope you get it figured out and going soon.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
And its supposed to function without a gasket/oring....

Are ya sure the carb isn't split somewhere?
Maybe by design but almost never in practice. Most will suggest a nice slathering of silicone sealer around the carb sleeve but personally I think that looks tacky and think the o-ring is a much neater alternative.

Also Thats Dax sells the gasket for the carb but an O-ring works just as well.
ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2

lolitsdaelan

Apr 23, 2010
Indianapolis
I put an o-ring on it and I'm able to get it a little tighter, but still not "tight". I may give bike berry a call and see if I can get them to send a replacement, as I haven't even run this for more than a mile or two, so I doubt it was anything I did. Although who knows, I really have no experience prior to this :p

Also, back to the heat issue. The engine still gets very hot, to the point where water sizzles if I drop it on it. Are they meant to get that hot? Obviously it's an engine and that will produce a decent amount of heat, but again this is by no means my area of expertise.