SUCCESS and questions...

GoldenMotor.com

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
Hi everyone, I can now happily post success on my first build! It was a real pain to build, especially because the frame was too big and we had to custom make some mounts, and then we had allignment issues, etc. I might say that it was well worth it though, i'm really happy with it... to a point.

I have noticed that even though since we moved over the engine, I havent eaten up any more chains, but whenever I hold in the clutch going down a hill or use throttle less than accelerating and maintaining speed, I get the same chain rattling and noise that I had before, and there's some really nasty noises too. Besides freewheelin', is there any way to fix this? It runs fine under engine power, its just when the wheel is pushing the chain.

Also, I'm breaking it in using 20:1 two stroke outboard oil, I have read that this isn't recommended but it also says it works on all two stroke air and water cooled engines. Is this something I should be freaking out about? I haven't even ran a whole gallon through it yet.

I was also wondering about the effectiveness of simple performance mods such as drilling holes in the stock muffler endcap and removing the baffles. Does anyone have experience with these? Are there any better simple mods?

Thanks in advance!
-Steve

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Have you read some of my BS posts yet? You might find answers to some of your questions there.
Norms 2-stroke repair corner is where they are at check out the sticky posts these are posts that are stuck to the top of the list of posts and don't move when a new post is put up making them easier to find.
The noise you hear is it a sort of squealing noise? If so remove the clutch arm cover pull out the short rod that goes into the center of the drive sprocket there should be a ball bearing behind it if it looks just a little bit dry grease it and the rod that will stop the squealing.
For me the out board oil from walmart worked fine. I've since switched to the syn. oil that walmart sells it Polan syn. oil I mix it at 40 to 1 and I've found that it allows my engines more power and no smoke.

Last edited:

rdrunner2010

Sep 24, 2009
Maine
The noise you hear is it a sort of squealing noise?
The noise isn't a squealing noise, it's like the chain is getting stuck on something and then popping off, and I had this problem before I adjusted the alignment but before it was eating all the chains I put on it. I think its because when the wheel is pushing the chain, it pushes it onto the sprocket at an angle and the sprocket teeth catch on it temporarily.

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I have always had issues with my chain. I have done everything possible to correct it and I still here noises that scare me lol. Over time I'm sure it has improved and I think this is because of wear and doing a little filing. There is a chain that I have read is a little wider I would be interested trying out.

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
There may be an issue with your rear sproket wavering around on yout rear wheel and sending the chain up on to the top of the teeth of the front sprocket . Try getting the bike up off the ground and with the chains off, spin the rear wheel and see if there is any wobble at the rear sprocket . If it wobbles adjust the mounting bolts to correct it . Just a guess