Fat Tire Bicycle Chopper

GoldenMotor.com

ZnsaneRyder

Nov 21, 2008
FLORIDA
Can't wait to see more! I bet with a tire like that, it will ride really smooth, even without shocks. I can't wait see how it looks painted and with the engine connected to the drivetrain!

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
Re: Took her to paint stage

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Took her to paint finally. My color scheme/concept was to match the seat colors from front to back. To get the colors I wanted I only needed 3 colors. Yellow, red and black.

I've been here more times than I can count, mixing colors and feathering with the airbrush pen is just plain fun fun fun! Painting with the airbrush pen is a lot easier that you may think. After you have bought the airbrush pen, the cost of painting your bikes is only a few dollars more than spray cans and gives excellent quality.

I'll give more details how to use the pen and paint/acetone when I get a little time. After I give it a week to cure I will finally be able to start re-assembly. YEA! LOL

Attachments

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
Re: Chopper bicycle update

What a day! Took her off the bench and showed her some sunshine. The test ride let me know I need to adjust the sprockets on the engine side. But all is good in my heart. I could feel the spirit of the new bicycle happy and free stretching her legs for the first time.

I need to finish the lighting/wiring and fine tune the normal items required for a DIY build. Also I may want a front brake, time will tell. I need to take a weeks brake from her. (Other than a few rides here and there :grin5:)

Here's the latest shots. 1OF2

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow G-man. That's art.
Very cool about the airbrush pen. I had never heard of one but am going to look into it. (the power of the internet and learning) Can't wait to see what you do for the tank.

If I may be so bold as to offer a thought, front brakes are a really good thing! even if only thought of as "back-up" Better to have 'em and not need them as apposed to the reverse. (kinda like bringing a knife to a gun fight sort of deal, snork)

Was very good of you to take the time to share her evolution and taking the time to chronicle your work. It is greatly appreciated.

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
Thank you Dan, you are correct about the front brakes. I have to do it. The tank is hidden in the saddle bag behind the rear seat. Im glad you didn't notice LOL. That means I did my job. :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Thank you Dan, you are correct about the front brakes. I have to do it. The tank is hidden in the saddle bag behind the rear seat. Im glad you didn't notice LOL. That means I did my job. :)
LOL, as I typed that about the tank, I thought; "has probably been stated and I should reread the whole thread" But looked at your pics and still didn't notice. Spent yesterday hiding from family and am lil "foggy" snork.

Attachments

Last edited:

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
When I see other peoples builds I always ask myself...."self" where did he get that item? Well, i'm not going to leave anybody out there hang'in with that question. I hope this helps someone if they need a similar part that I have used on my bike. I used to have better tools but I got rid of them when I thought I was getting out of building. (wrong) since, I bought a lot of stuff "on the cheap" and they have worked out just fine. Take care and thanks for your kind words everyone. graucho

Tubing 1/8 steel. 2", 1.5", 1.25", 1"___South St. Paul Steel Supply - Products

Tube bender 3 years old___ Harbor Freight Tools

Welder 2 years old___ - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Frame Design (copied)___ Frame 24" Chopper Super Fat - Choppers U.S., LLC

Handle bars___ Handlebar Cruiser Moon CP - Choppers U.S., LLC

Brake lever___ Skull Brake Lever - Pair - Choppers U.S., LLC

Fork___ Fork Kit - Chopper Chrome - Choppers U.S., LLC

Front wheel / rim___ Wheel/Tire/Tube/Hub/Rim : Wheels - Steel - Choppers U.S., LLC

Peddles sprocket___ Pedals Stingray Silver 9/16 - Choppers U.S., LLC

Seat___ Seat - Hot Rod Flames - Choppers U.S., LLC

Braided lines___ Cable Casing-Stainless-Per Ft. - Choppers U.S., LLC

Mirror___ Mirror - Teardrop Right CP - Choppers U.S., LLC

Throttle___ Mini Chopper Misc. Parts & Accessories

Aluminum Bullet Axle Nut 1"___

Front Light___ Old model of a Kids Razor 12v kids motorcycle.

License frame___ Walmart

Tail light___ Walmart

Licence Plate___ Self designed from photo of my youth

Pillow block bearings___ PILLOW BLOCK BEARINGS - Pacific Northwest Bearing

Rear wheel and rim___ https://www.3rsalesandservice.com/catalog/3RSalesandService/GATG12714Y.htm
https://www.3rsalesandservice.com/catalog/3RSalesandService/GAT12D114C.htm

Axle and hub___ Rear Axle & Hub kits

Disk Brake___ Rear Axle & Hub kits

14 tooth freewheel___ 14 Tooth Freewheel Sprocket

Jackshaft___ Main, BMI Karts and Supplies - Home

Jackshaft sprockets___ eBay Store - Fremont Industrial Supply: Hydraulic Pneumatic, Fluid Power, Electric motors

Chains___ Tractor supply

Idle tensioner___ Tractor supply

Rear fender___ Tractor supply (aluminum car ramp end)

Plastic gas tank___ Ebay

Saddle bag for tank___ Walmart

SLA Sealed Lead Acid Battery___ Radio shack or Batteries Plus

Battery charger 1amp (for Lead Acid Battery___ Batteries Plus

Centrif- clutch___

Airbrush pen (6 years old)___ opps...Its called... d i c kblick.com with no spaces.

Primer (sandable, scratch filling)___ Napa Auto

Red oxide Spot filler/Putty___ Local Auto paint dealer

Rust-oleum Paint___ Home Depot

Acetone___ Home Depot

Last edited by a moderator:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Hi Graucho, One Beautifulllll Build For Sure. I See Your Motor Clutch Also Serves As The Freewheel, And the freewheel on the jackshaft for your pedals. Very Nice And Clean Build. Thanks For Sharing. Ron

Last edited:

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
I swopped out the engine area with batteries and went electric. It sneaks around like a silent ninja. Only 18 mph but what a blast! Not pedaling very much, I got 16 very quiet miles before the low battery light popped on. I ran it 2 more miles home so I know I can get at least 18 miles per ride.
YouTube - ELECTRIC FAT TIRE CHOPPER BICYCLE

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
that back wheel is great,thats what we all miss when getting a bike from the store.
why did you switch to electric from your gas engine?
what electric motor and what type of batteries are you using that you can go 18mph and get 16 miles out of it?
i did the opposite,i switch from electric to a gas engine(200miles @ 32mph).
my electric would only go 12-15mph for 5miles.

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
that back wheel is great,thats what we all miss when getting a bike from the store.
why did you switch to electric from your gas engine?
what electric motor and what type of batteries are you using that you can go 18mph and get 16 miles out of it?
i did the opposite,i switch from electric to a gas engine(200miles @ 32mph).
my electric would only go 12-15mph for 5miles.
Thanks, ive always been a gas motorhead. I have zero experience with electric motors/controllers/batteries. Yet I needed to get out there and ride this bike! So. I had to get my feet wet while having fun with my newest build. My E bike.net : Electric Bike Conversion Kit The reason I switched is because its something new to me. I have 3 current gas bikes so if I feel a need for speed I have other options to ride. Now I have a ton to learn and I will be upgrading to a screaming machine on my next build.

I dont have anything to compare to yet as far as distance comparisons between kits/setups but your 5 miles seems very slim. I didn't run "wide open" for 16 miles, I could get up to 18mph when I wanted to.

What ive found so far is when riding gas powered I would talk to a few people here and there. With the electric set up I have trouble making it more than 2 miles without someone stopping me asking questions. I'm enjoying all of the sounds around me that ive been missing.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
WOW!!!!!!!
I know this posting is a little late, butt SHOOT!!!!!
do you have a spare bucket to catch the drool, what do you do for a living? you gotta be makeing some serious bank to be able to afford this baby!!!