55MPH Cruiser Engine?

GoldenMotor.com

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
128 mph, 5 speed manual, 1400cc stock engine, no peddles Wheel base of 60+ inches helps too. Everything they said ^^^ Suspension, brakes, and beefy frame...

I have front and rear suspension. And good stopping power. The difference between 44 and 125 is huge. 1.5 hp versus 94hp.

Ok... let's get back to bicycles... We can show off our other rides in our own postings...
Yeah funny, but the difference is that Im using the same **** china parts that many other bike builders use. It comes close to reaching the desired speed he wants without buying a four stroke boat anchor without having to peddle. I just picked up a wide 5 speed manual tranny for it too. Yeah im ****ing proud of my ride. The question to build the 55 mph cruiser requires one to think outside of the 199$ bike kit. its what I do. Besides.. WTF difference does it make if you break the law on a 55mph moped or a 44 mph foot scooter? nada. Id love to hit 55 on my ride. its silky as is.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It's OK to be proud of your ride, even if it hardly pertains to how one would build a 55mph cruiser engine... but there is a difference between actually helping someone out and inserting yourself into everyone else's post just to show off your ride....

Why not tell everyone what engine that is and how you got 4hp out of it? Why not tell everyone about the 3 speed hub being used as a transmission and how you set it up? ... that would be helping... posting a pic of your ride and saying how fast it is hardly constitutes what most people would call help.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The 212 with a few upgrades is definitely an easy way to get past the 55mph mark, it should be able to hit those speeds just by removing the governor, installing a billet rod and some heavier valve springs. Using a CVT will definitely help, but it can also be done as a single speed.

Doing the same with a CG engine is possible but a bit more of a challenge. Using a jack shaft and multiple gears will definitely help but getting past the 50mph mark will take some power adding upgrades like port work, high compression heads, bigger carb, and less restrictive exhaust. I know of at least one bike that hit 35mph with the stock NT carb tho... but a bigger carb will get the power up to where it needs to be for this kind of speed.

The Morini and KTM engines and their clones can easily do over 50mph as well, but it takes some fab work to get these engines to go into a bicycle frame reliably...

mat_man

Jan 29, 2011
athens ga
but it can also be done as a single speed.
Yes, but a CVT would allow cruising at lower RPM's with less vibration.

For a single speed, I would try a BX V-belt primary with hand clutch.
Cheaper than burning out clutches. And be willing to pedal more on starts.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I got one of those pocket bike cvt's about a year ago and it looks like it could be made to work for the CG engines by removing both shafts and installing on a new plate to eliminate the reversing transmission. It would still occupy a certain amount of space and need to be tuned to work with the output sprocket's rpm range, but it would be an effective way to run a higher final gear ratio and the cvt it's self ranges from about 3:1 up to 1.1:1 so it does slightly overdrive which would make its top range effectively change the ratio of a 44T rear sprocket about the same as a 40T on top but take off like there was a 120T rear sprocket installed... which means it would need to be tuned to run up quickly or a smaller rear sprocket would be needed and the cvt tuned a little slower. I don't think they make different springs for these, but I'm sure a rear spring could be made for it pretty easily, up front, the weights can be drilled or cut to slow down the up shift rate or filled with steel or lead if the up shift needed to be sped up to suit the engine's powerband. These cvt's could use better bearings and if mounted on a different plate one could also use a better quality or more popular sized belt.

I also saw a bike built by msrfan a while back with a 2 speed automatic transmission built out of centrifugal clutches and Jack shafts similar to those rc car automatic 2 and 3 speed transmissions which was very interesting, it was a little on the bulky side but the way he mounted it it fit in the frame very well. With a little tuning and experimenting with sprocket sizes, this would be a viable way to get multi gears, and shift automatically.