Question about mixture adjustment when adding tuned exhaust?

GoldenMotor.com

egjsc

Jun 8, 2015
Oxnard,CA
Hey guys hopefully someone can share alil helpful info, I just installed the "Cheapo" Bannana Exhaust, its the one with the little "Muffler" on the exit end of the pipe. General rule of thumb would be to fatten up the mixture or lean it out? I have a SHA clone so I can only change the main jet. I also have a thunder c.d.i. with a NGK #7 heat range plug if that has any effect on mixture settings. So any tuning/mixture adjustment setting info on this would help me know which way I should start heading with the a/f ratio, if there even is any.

The pipe works pretty well after I installed the SHA and port matched the exhaust pipe flange and gasket(Ill post a picture if it lets me). But I tried the pipe with the stock NT carb and ended up putting my modded stocker back on. The pipe was way too loud and had no low-end what so ever. Top end was a small increase, but not enough worth running it. With the SHA clone installed the pipe is noticeably quiter and has decent low-end with a pretty good mid range punch from 20-30mph and alil more top -end with alil more RPM. Again, any information on tuning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys happy riding!

exokinetic

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Forest, CA
Yep, you got it!

And just as a general rule of thumb, any change you make that you think is going to increase power output (like a more powerful pipe, a bigger carb, a ported cylinder, high compression head.... anything) start by going richer, then lean it down to find the proper mixture.

You can't really break anything going too rich. But, especially when increasing power output, going to lean can very quickly lead to seized cylinders and holes in pistons. I've done my fair share.