Hercules Motor-bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
"A Welborne Powerwheel, why it's the bee's knees!" Supper KOOOOL and will be watching your version,.......Love it ................Curt

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
If I put my traditional Yorkshire surname on the final result or go with calling it an Intrepid Motorwheel', well the design committee is still mulling that one over. ;)

The basic design is going to be based around the rear frame triangle from a kid's BMX with the bottom bracket converted into a pivot attachment for fastening the whole device onto a bicycle. The engine and petrol tank will be mounted above the wheel and the wheel will be fitted with a mudguard (fender). All very traditional in basic form and layout.
The BMX wheel is ideal for the job with its large heavy duty spindle and wheel bearings as well as being a 40 spoke wheel. It's a front wheel, but that doesn't matter in the slightest as I'm not wanting to attach either a freewheel or a sprocket to it.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's something wonderfully Edwardian and optimistic about Intrepid anythings.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Intrepid Motor Wheel in a circle with the lettering facing upright so it can be read with Britannia in the middle. Vintage lettering style of course. Perhaps product of The Bee's Knees Manufacturing below that.

Yorkshire? I have a very distant relative who lived there as well as many of my more resent ancestors on my fathers side. The distant relative was nick named Swift Nick and he may be worth a Google.

Steve.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Gosh, - that's a very interesting ancestor to have Steve :)

In some areas of Yorkshire folk with my surname are everywhere. A large number of my Yorkshire relatives worked at the main Cadbury chocolate factory at Bournville , - which could explain why I'm so fond of the delicacy. :D

There's quite a good local signwriters here in town so I most probably will get around to devising a decal design involving all manner of lovely Edwardian heraldry and vintage lettering once I have something workable to attach it to.

Attachments

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's a pity you're not warlike, you could recreate the Minerva.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hmmmm... "Swift Nick"..."Fast Eddy". You've heard the old expression "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree", no doubt. Just thinkin', there does seem to be a family resemblance, eh?
SB

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
IWW, concerning the Cag engine check to see if you have a 47cc. According to a thread on PB Planet the 1st four fins from the cylinder base basically disappear into the cylinder barrel as they wrap around due to the increased bore size. The 39cc has very defined fins in this area. If you have a 47cc it may be much less peaky/banded having nearly a 20% increase in CCs and much more usable with a less hyper behavior. Of course there are probably the usual anomalies of Chinese manufacture to dispute this method of identification, but looking at the cylinders on ebay I have seen this difference. After I experiment with jetting I will probably pull the jug to physically identify the bore diameter.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
BOO! HISS! That's a CAG engine IW...
Endless heartbreak, screaming sky high revs and noise, weak clutches and crappy carbs.
BEWARE!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
When (hopefully soon) I can get back to the Cooper & Ludwig, mine's having the rpm capped and the clutch shoes made heavier, so at least the rpm related problems will be gone. As for making it weedy and low powered, that's the object with this bike.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Heres a pic of a 44mm cylinder(1st) and a 40mm. Notice the fins basically disappear into the barrel on the fist pic and are well defined on the second pic. According to this PB Planet theory my engine is a 40mm/39cc. As with all Chinese stuff measuring is the only sure way to know. Also one cant just order any 44mm big bore kit as there are two wrist pin(I believe you English speaking folks say gudgeon) sizes 10 and 12mm. Nothing is ever simple from the land of the Panda!

Also the lettering on the cylinder indicates(PBP again) the tuning/porting of the cylinder.

Attachments