Amp Hours Versus Weight With SLAs

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
So after asking a zillion questions I am just about to solidify my E bike plans. Am going with SLAs the first time with the idea of battery upgrade If I really like the E thing.

I can easily fit (4) 22ah SLAs into the frame of my bike above the bottom bracket and still have pedaling clearance. (4) 15ah batteries fit even better.
Heres the deal the (4) 22s weigh 50lbs (I know HEAVY) the 15s weigh 39lbs. Do the extra 7ah justify the extra 11lbs. Figuring with spec numbers( I know real world# are different) The 22s provide about 1/3 more range. Is this going to be eaten up by the extra weight?

Remember I ride only on flat ground and plan to pedal start the bike before engaging the circuitry. So accelerating the batteries is all on me.

Thoughts?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I dont ride on flat ground but I like 12ah sla but then I never go more than five miles round trip. I also ride a heave tricycle.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
12s seem to be the norm. You can go to 15s for a small amount more in $$ and weight, 18s for a bit more, but the 22s are the same size and basic weight as the 18s so why not go 22. Would hate to burn up the xtra AHs just lugging them around though.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
One word of warning; 50 lbs of batteries on your bike feels a lot heavier than it sounds.

I'm not really trying to discourage you. But I carried 28 lbs of batts on my old E-bike and it was a lot.

You mentioned that you'll be riding on level ground and intend to do a good deal of the work involved yourself. If that's the case, then I'd be inclined to go with a smaller battery load.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
One word of warning; 50 lbs of batteries on your bike feels a lot heavier than it sounds.

I'm not really trying to discourage you. But I carried 28 lbs of batts on my old E-bike and it was a lot.

You mentioned that you'll be riding on level ground and intend to do a good deal of the work involved yourself. If that's the case, then I'd be inclined to go with a smaller battery load.
Im inclined to agree. My current build with the Maytag engine carries around 44lbs high on the frame in almost the same location as the batteries would be on the Ebike. I have pedaled it not running to get a feel for it and its really not much of a weight balance issue. That may come from a lifetime of riding rather heavy M/Cs though. Still 11lbs is 11lbs and the old saying removing weight is adding HP is true.

Thanks for your input!