Armstrong 12V 18Ahr e-vehicle batteries

GoldenMotor.com

mooselook

Aug 7, 2013
maine
I am looking into putting an E-4 mid drive on my Sun X-3 ax recumbent trike. This is a 24V 500W motor running thru the bikes gears. I was looking into making up my own battery pack with lead acid batteries and was nosing around on atbatteries.com. I found two sets of Armstrong batteries that looked good to me. They are deep cycle, designed specifically for light e-vehicles such as motorized wheel chairs. I could put 2 in series. they spec at 12V 18Ahr at 12.6 lbs each. they are about $50 with shipping. Anyone ever use these???? they are rated for 1000 charges at 80% DOD. 300 charges at 100% DOD.

They also have a 12V 33Ahr battery at 26lbs each and about $75 each. A bit heavy. The trike would hold it, but hill climbing would suffer a bit. I could get another 15 miles of range though. Total weight with the me, bike, motor and 18Ahr lead acid batts is about 290 lbs. another 8% increase in mass for another 15 miles of range. hmmmm.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Those 18 Amp/Hr batts sure don't sound bad. You can get two 10 A/H batts at 7 lb each for about the same price. But these aren't necessarily designed for e-vehicle use.

If the Armstrongs can stand up to repeated deep discharges and recharges better, then they are the better deal. Hands down.

The 33 AH batts are a bit more tricky. You could use 4 10 AH at about 28lb for about $100. (My last purchase was a couple of years ago. If price has changed much, then never mind) Better on AH to weight ratio. 25% more expensive.

If you kept your rides short, then you'd be more gentle in the discharge/recharge dept.
But 52 lbs of batteries is a lot of weight, even for a trike.

mooselook

Aug 7, 2013
maine
yes bluegoat, you are right on that weight on those 33a/h and thanks for the idea on the lighter10 a/h batteries. On thought I have on the batteries is fewer, larger cells and fewer issues of cell balancing or having a cell go bad. with a 24V system and 500w motor you only have 12 2V cells. pretty simple. off course not a lot of power there. so it's all trade offs. 36V or 48V you rapidly compound the number of cells. In serial applications the weak cells dominate and then they introduce problems to the series of cells when recharging. I guess this is part of the fun in all this, trying to puzzle out the best system for our particular needs.