Hawgthorne!!!

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I do like the old style of the frame and where it's going! I know I saw a corrugated hose to what I suspect it the air filter. But before I saw it with the silvery looking top, I thought I saw a shaft. Is that thing running a blower?

My build is for on the dirt and I have a corrugated hose from the regular foam air filter to up high on the bar to a funnel that is covered with a much less restrictive oven/range over head type filter. Lots of surface area to cut down on air restriction.

I have seen this carb bottle or whatever they are called. Something to keep the intake for sort of more even flowing is what it is suppose to do. When the intake closes, the bottle saves the momentum of the vaporized fuel flow in to a bottle. No valves just a t-connection to the intake. I know I have seen the timing of valves in stock engines set to do porting effectively without this, but maybe this gets a little more horse power.

Anyway whatever you got going, it looks like roaring 20's!

Neat Stuff!

Measure Twice

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Hey thanks guys for the kind words!!! Means a lot from the talent on this forum. No blower....Yet!!! lol Ithink what your seeing is my attempt at a remote breather still not sure i like it. Sorry for my rudementary building i havent spent much in the way of money on this cept for the wheels. Try to use junk i scrounge up. Anyone have any coke bottle grips layin around theyre not using? I also need a pull start pulley the kind you wrap the rope around. If so let me kno and what you want for them..xx.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you can weld, you can make your own pull start pulley.
Find a fender washer the correct size to fit over the flywheel shaft.
Find a piece of tubing the same outside diameter as the washer and cut off about 2 inches of it. Weld the washer to the end of the pipe. Cut an angled slot on the open end of the pipe just like a factory made pulley would have, making sure it is angled the correct way.

Install the pulley under the flywheel nut and you are golden.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
If you can weld, you can make your own pull start pulley.
Find a fender washer the correct size to fit over the flywheel shaft.
Find a piece of tubing the same outside diameter as the washer and cut off about 2 inches of it. Weld the washer to the end of the pipe. Cut an angled slot on the open end of the pipe just like a factory made pulley would have, making sure it is angled the correct way.

Install the pulley under the flywheel nut and you are golden.
Been thunking on that for 2 days GN. That's brilliant! Cool. TY

I kept getting stuck on the locking bolt. (how to redrill the shaft) your way, don't matter.

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Great idea gearnut i had been thinking about that but wasnt sure how to lock it to the flywheel. Guess i could drill and pin it to the flywheel.The keyway doesnt extend thru the flywheel so cant use it unless i grind some of it off and use a file to cut a notch in the pulley? may try that.thanks for the input.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Usually the nut tightens the same direction as the engine turns so if the pulley were to try and slip it would also tend to turn the nut tighter which in turn would clamp down harder on the pulley reducing the chance of slippage. I have seen some that have a raised bump on the backside of the pulley that engage a notch on the face of the flywheel. You also could file/ grind a notch on the face of the flywheel and weld a bead on the washer to engage each other.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The Briggs 5S Cast Iron I have with the rope start has the end of the tube with a flare out ridge. This I believe to reduce chance that wrapping or unwrapping (while starting engine), becomes off the end. If you don't have a tool to flare tube that large, I'm sure welding a ridge or some other fashion would work.

I have not had the rope stay on after the engine started, but I think there could be more of a chance that this could happening if the rope went off the end, twisted, and whatever comes next? Not a safe happening I'm sure!

Mostly I started the motor bike with this type of start by just sitting on the bike seat and push starting with each foots toes. With 8 to 1 and small displacement engine you really didn't need a hill to start it. Once warmed up, two compression strokes and it was started.

Now I am using a centrifugal clutch so I have a recoil start on a 3hp Aluminum Briggs. Not yet done, but hopefully real soon.

Measure Twice

Attachments

Last edited:

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Well i been working a little more on my bike and finally got a way to post some more pictures. Had it runnin (sorta) sunday havin carb problems but ran good enuff to make it around the block a few times. Have a few bugs to work out ,ordered a carb rebuild kit and a new plug need to fashion a stop on the front brake levers and maybe a heavier clutch spring. Heres a few pics let me know wat you think ,what it needs or whatever.

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thats way too cool, i love your old syle rod operated brakes..... this thing has got to be one of my favourites. Great job. Love to see more pics or a video

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Totaly AWESOME! Looks a lot like the old Popular machinics plans Build a Motorized Bike Plans

Love the paint don't have to worry about getting a scratch or two and the old machinical brakes. Right out of the past.....................Curt
PS were did you get the exaust end? KOOOOOOOOL

Last edited:

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
hey guys thanks for all the comments. Yeah the paint turned out the way i wanted makes a lot of sense do all that painting and then sand it off again. lol! curtis the exhaust tip is an old aluminum boat paddle for a inflatible raft we had when we were kids found it in my dads garage an thought it might look ok.Didnt want to use cables for the brakes, was trying to keep it looking as old as possible. Finally got my carb rebuild kit so hopefully ill get it runnin better this weekend. TGIF!!!!!! brnot

iflyos

Sep 14, 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Man..I keep coming back to this bike to look at the pictures again...the only thing I can find wrong with it is pretty simple..It isn't in my yard!!

Seriously..that is the epitome of cool. I love the purpose built look, and the raw energy you put into it. I really wanna build something that looks this good...the classic Rat Rod, "out to have a good time and enjoy the machine" style.

I know you only got to ride it a little before the carb started showing out, but how'd it do?

Tim

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Man..I keep coming back to this bike to look at the pictures again...the only thing I can find wrong with it is pretty simple..It isn't in my yard!!

Seriously..that is the epitome of cool. I love the purpose built look, and the raw energy you put into it. I really wanna build something that looks this good...the classic Rat Rod, "out to have a good time and enjoy the machine" style.

I know you only got to ride it a little before the carb started showing out, but how'd it do?

Tim

Yeah i keep coming back and looking at the photos too, each time i do i notice another nice little detail. Seriously nice work man. Its hard to tell it apart from a genuine antique motorcycle.

Blackhog01

Jul 10, 2010
Kansas,Chetopa
Thanks i fly o.s. i appreciate the kind words. The rid [albeit] a short one was a good one. This thing pulls hard and seems a lot faster than my two stroke dont know what the top speed will be but seemed to be faster than my other one. I dont know how accurate the speedometer is but my two stroke runs about 39 mph with my 195lbs on it. You into R/C planes? im guessing thats what your name refers to. I had a pt40 trainer i bought just to build never flew it though. I sold it to a buddy of mine we raced 1/8 scale buggies for years i still have a jammin jay truggy i run from time to time. Anyways i kinda got sidetracked there the ride seemed to be smoother to dont know if its the difference between a 24" and a 26" frame. Hopefully i will know more this weekend. I see no reason why you or anyone else couldnt build one of these with a little patience and some tinkering especially with all the help and talent on this forum.

iflyos

Sep 14, 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Cool! Glad to hear it put a smile on your face. It will be interesting to see what it does after the carb rebuild.

Into planes..you could say that, LOL...15 years of designing, building and flying so far. I fly a little of everything from 13" wingspan micros to 35% scale aerobatic ships with 100cc twin cylinders... I actually got a MAB to get around the pits at the larger events I go to..well, that and they are just plain cool!

I am willing to bet the larger frame coupled with a little more weight from the Briggs is helping the ride.

Good luck this weekend!

Tim