wont start after rain

GoldenMotor.com

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
Thanks Guys! BarelyAWake, I'll have to check the gap on my plug. I set it to whatever it was recomended in the installation instructions. It does give me trouble when its cold out. It even gave me trouble yesterday after work. It was about 40 out. This morning, no problem, it was 60, heat wave :) Yep, even my RC engines perform better when its colder out. So I'll agree with that theory. Anyway when its cold, if I heat the engine with my heat gun for about 5-10 minutes I find it starts up w/o a problem,, so I'll check the gap on my plug. I'll try anything to make it easier to start when its cold.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Jus' as a FYI, on my "winter beater" I'm runnin' an NGK B6HS gapped to .030, stock copper core plug wire but with a NGK cap... while I'm running the "craaazy" 100:1 Amsoil mix, 32:1 with a quality nonsynthetic seemed to work well in the cold too. I unno ifn you've the new CNS carb (with fuel/air mix screw) or the older NT - but that winter beater has the older NT & I've it's needle clip 2nd notch down (chk plug color ofc)...

Pretty standard stuff really, but I figured I'd mention it as I know the last thing I'd wanna deal with when it's freezing out is a reluctant motor lol

Ya might just have a weak magneto, it's not unknown & easy to swap - but I'd save that fer last ;)

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Lol yeah dont take block heater "ideas" from people in So Cal.( :) had too )
Have to admit tho in my cold climate I am tempted to buy one of the stick on wire element block heaters , and see how that works.
Hey now, I lived half of my childhood in Wisconsin. I have shoveled snow, experienced the wonder of black ice and slid off the road, poked a stick at a frozen stiff cow, and learned how to control a sliding car on a frozen lake (lots of fun), been stuck in a blizzard, wrote my name in cursive in the snow :D, and experienced all the other winter wonders you can think of.
I now choose to live where I can just visit the winter wonders instead of endure them. ;)

AH64Apache

Jul 22, 2009
Mercer, WI
youse guys crack me up :) I like the poking a frozen cow line, HA! No cows this far north,, just deer & bear amongst other wild animals. BTW I do have a NGK plug in there. I've also read to replace the cap. They should have one at NAPA in town here, so I'll also replace that & check the gap.

muddybike

Jul 31, 2010
Calgary
Hey now, I lived half of my childhood in Wisconsin. I have shoveled snow, experienced the wonder of black ice and slid off the road, poked a stick at a frozen stiff cow, and learned how to control a sliding car on a frozen lake (lots of fun), been stuck in a blizzard, wrote my name in cursive in the snow :D, and experienced all the other winter wonders you can think of.
I now choose to live where I can just visit the winter wonders instead of endure them. ;)
Pfft Screen shot or it never happened ;)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i too, grew up in wisconsin. i've climbed 500' towers in Boston in december. i've worked 1000' towers in rhode island, michigan, and 20 story rooftops in chicago, all in the middle of winter.

i've worked summers in Blythe, El Centro, Phoenix, and other places in the desert that have no names.

from 30 below to 127 degrees, i've seen it all.

i'll take southern california weather anyday...

oh, by the way, it's supposed to be mid to upper 80's this weekend. i hope my bike doesn't overheat...:)

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
You might want to take a flat file across the mating edge of the cover if no one mentioned that. I've found some casting flash that didn't allow for a good seal between the case/gasket and the cover.Kip.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
It was very difficult to get my bike started in temps below 20 deg F. An unheated garage didn't help either. I ended up needing to use a 1500 watt hot air gun to preheat the cylinder head and carb which helped immensely.

My RC engines are almost impossible to run correctly in very cold weather. I end up wrapping the head in copper fuel line and Aluminum foil to maintain head temperature and preheat the fuel so it vaporises better. I also run a hotter plug and if possible, remove a head gasket shim to increase compression that would otherwise cause detonation in warmer weather.