Square or round exhaust port?

GoldenMotor.com

DRK

Apr 1, 2017
Illinois
Which cylinder is best for performance on a stock 66cc CG motor and why? Trying to learn.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
If I am understanding your question correctly, DRK. I don't personally think one has an advantage over the other, other than the more fin, surface area, the better cooling capabilities.

Other than that, I don't think aside from aesthetics, one is any better or worse.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other folks think, though.
Just my 27 cents. (inflation)

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
If I am understanding your question correctly, DRK. I don't personally think one has an advantage over the other, other than the more fin, surface area, the better cooling capabilities.

Other than that, I don't think aside from aesthetics, one is any better or worse.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other folks think, though.
Just my 27 cents. (inflation)
Square or round exhaust port?

OP didn't ask about the cylinder shape.

The shape of the exhaust port which you obviously can't see when the
exhaust is bolted on the cylinder.

Round should theoretically be better but on these motors there are too
many variables to consider.

That's my 2 centavo's

mobike91

Sep 14, 2010
lebanon, oregon
I'm thinking that the round shape would allow for more sound wave from a pipe to more effectively push the scavenge of the fuel mix back into the cylinder. Can't prove it, but in my mind it seems logical. Guess I'll have to build both and test ride the snot out of both lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I did mis read.

My muffler and pulse jet guy, "Pops" (Yup, have a pulse jet for MBs, guy) Says that if you think of an engine as a pump. The hot gasses spiraling, can evacuate faster and make turns more easily. Allowing the whole occurrences of events to happen faster.

sbest

Nov 3, 2015
Nova Scotia
Spiraling gasses take a longer path than gasses going straight through the port. Squaring up the port at the window will help to straighten them as well as give a sharp pulse as the exhaust port opens. Once gasses are straightened the ports should be round. The header connection should be round of course.