Performance difference Black EPA muffler and Chrome non-EPA muffler

GoldenMotor.com

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Hello guys,

I have a 80cc motor that i purchased frm Bikeberry, it performs great. So great that I purchased a second complete kit to use as a part kit. The second kit is EPA certified for 2009, and i was able to look up the cert on the EPA website. Anyway, I decided to replace the chrome muffler that came with my first kit with the black cat muffle from the second kit. Ive noticed a couple of things before, duriing and after the ride. The black cat muffler manifold pipe is longer anf it is much heaviere, and it seems to let the engine breathe easier therefore noticable torque increase, and it is slightly quieter, last the catalyst inside makes that muffler hot enough to cook a steak on it :). Has anyone noticed a performance difference between the two types of muffler?.rd.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I installed the black cat about a year ago and noticed a slight increase in performance. You're right about it getting VERY HOT. That's why I bought high temperature BBQ black paint to prevent paint peeling.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I have reservations about the Cat muffler because I use a high oil/gas mix (8oz to a gallon) to ensure I'm getting lubricated. Do you see any less black drips from the pipe in the mornings after a ride from the other day as compared to the non cat pipe?
It sounds like to me the higher heat may in fact help to burn off the excess oil but it may also damage the beads that does the job of cleaning the air.
I would also assume they had to have made the hole a bit bigger inside for better flow and the quieter design is due to it being longer.
Please let us know how it holds up down the road.

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
I Get More Torque Out Of The Stock Muffler. I Gutted Out The Stock One And Just Have The Cap On The Bottom.i Also Have The Cat Muffler I Like How Quiet It Is But It Robs My Power.and It Does Get Alot Hotter. On Oil Spits Out It Burns It Up.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i have the black one too,its quiet,doesnt get very hot,and only a drop or 2 of oil after turming it off.and i have plenty of power.

now that its summer,its getting hot now,the paint is still like new except for a few scratches i put on it. no oil coming out of muffler after its turn off,but it does oil my chain when riding.
i had plenty of power til my throttle broke.now i have it rigged up with a brake lever.
slow on take off now,but fast when i get it up to speed,i must adjust my chain again.
but still it loves to go up hills.

Last edited:

Dizzy

Jul 6, 2009
Jackson, Mi
The baffle fell out of my black cat muffler, I switched to a chrome one, and notice a drop in torque, and it was a little louder. I prefer the black cats.