Sharing a brake light I found.

GoldenMotor.com

jeffyh

Nov 28, 2015
Madison, NJ
In the process of making a full braking, turn signal solution using strip leds mounted on the seat stays, but needed a quick brake light solution.

Just thought I'd share some links if anyone else was looking for a simple solution.

FYI, I'm no way affiliated with these companies or products.

Bicycle Pro Brake Light

Sigma Brake Light Taillight - connects to brake cable on caliper and turns on on pull, nicer housing than above.

cycle bike rear & brake light for caliper brake - body mounts to caliper mounting stud and magnet attached to brake cable is the trigger. Brightest

Last edited:

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
Great find.I believe I can fab somethn' cooler lookn'.
these are a great idea. I had been wondering how to fab something like that.
there is a rear turn signal and rear light with remote,(on Amazon)but the reviews are not promising.
Thanx for the insight.

Last edited:

jeffyh

Nov 28, 2015
Madison, NJ
Great find.I believe I can fab somethn' cooler lookn'.
these are a great idea. I had been wondering how to fab something like that.
there is a rear turn signal and rear light with remote,(on Amazon)but the reviews are not promising.
Thanx for the insight.
Yea, i saw that wireless solution but didn't like the minimal separation between the turn signals. Might pick it up anyways to use the remote and RF receiver in another circuit. I've been trying to figure out how to create a braking switch and these are definately the way to go. If for nothing else, I might buy the cheap one to use as a switch.

If you're looking for an alternative, the same thing could probably be done on the brake lever side... using a insulated spring barrel on the lever housing and a hole on the lever.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
jeffyh dear ol' boy,
I will be fabn' somethn' today.
i'm thinkn' aluminized small flash light with red lens, that's the simple part, now the switch
mechanism aw! yes I'm headn' to the garage now.

jeffyh

Nov 28, 2015
Madison, NJ
jeffyh dear ol' boy,
I will be fabn' somethn' today.
i'm thinkn' aluminized small flash light with red lens, that's the simple part, now the switch
mechanism aw! yes I'm headn' to the garage now.
post pics. You have a machine shop??

I'm planning on 6' auto led strips on each chain stay... low voltage for visibility indicator, full voltage for braking, turn signal is low voltage on non turn side and full voltage/low voltage blinking on turn side.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
RV and lawn tractors have micro switches that you could hook to brake cable, or anywere on the bike...................Curt

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
RV and lawn tractors have micro switches that you could hook to brake cable, or anywere on the bike...................Curt
i'll see if I can get a pic of the switch, thanx Fox.
I always have stuff layn' around, I tend to see things and parts that most people find absolutely useless or considered useless and create awesome things.
This is all thanks to people like yourselves and in my other hobby endeavors.
plains, trains, boats, and automobiles, now you guys got me lacing wheels and chasing tail lights.
aw! yes back to the garage again.

P.S. JeffyH no it's just a garage filled with toy's.

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
Look under a lawn tractor seat they are safety switches, and have 3 or 4 in every tractor, and my RV had them in the closet doors to turn the light on when you open the door.......Curt

http://www.parts-express.com/cat/mi...gn=M_Cats_BP&utm_group=micro-switches_1566_BP
Parts Express purchased many of audio items from this place.
thanx C.F.
i'm thinking if there is a barrel (tube) type out there or I can try to figure out something else.
for now I have V brakes may go with disk later but for now the rear is staying stock,so this pulls horizontally and seems it's a bit tricky. I'am trying to minimize wires, enough darn cables and such, I was able to run wires for the kill switch through the frame tube.
trying to make this light all one unit and small yet not as small as jeffyh found. it's not about purchasing ready made items, but the adventure and puzzle solving with the gratification of building it. for me anyways.
thanx again to J.H. for the intuitive find in this post/thread.
now my list of things to do just got taller. (-:
Something like this http://www.erittenhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Fig.4r2_edited-2.jpg obviously not with glass or inert gases Ha!.

Last edited:

jeffyh

Nov 28, 2015
Madison, NJ
Parts Express purchased many of audio items from this place.
thanx C.F.
i'm thinking if there is a barrel (tube) type out there or I can try to figure out something else.
for now I have V brakes may go with disk later but for now the rear is staying stock,so this pulls horizontally and seems it's a bit tricky. I'am trying to minimize wires, enough darn cables and such, I was able to run wires for the kill switch through the frame tube.
trying to make this light all one unit and small yet not as small as jeffyh found. it's not about purchasing ready made items, but the adventure and puzzle solving with the gratification of building it. for me anyways.
thanx again to J.H. for the intuitive find in this post/thread.
now my list of things to do just got taller. (-:
Something like this http://www.erittenhouse.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Fig.4r2_edited-2.jpg obviously not with glass or inert gases Ha!.
Hah, partsexpress is a dangerous place... I was into cabinet building and delved deep into tuning to freqs which lead to sad wallet on account of that website. I now have 5 sub boxes with subs in the basement wasting away cause I can only use one at a time.

Well... If you wanna work on something together, I'm a huge fan of DIY electronics, circuit building, and wireless tech. Could always go full wireless...

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
i'm not a great fan of wireless only certain products like blue tooth,Wi-Fi, phone, my RC vehicles, tv remote and cordless drills, when I need power, I need to plug it in.
I have never wired any circuit boards before.
any ways back to brake lights, I think this might work, a left over aluminum rc shock absorber body. just have to figure how to wire up using the shock piston and say brass
washer for contact when lever squeezed when meets other end (on the V horizontal cable itself). problem is somehow using the brake cable itself as a contact for I want to say ground but it may affect the kill switch being all those components are contacting the frame . so now it would be isolating the brake lever and V-brake holders being they're aluminum.
I don't know exactly but it will come to mind.
every thing on this bike has been ok for some of the scratch build stuff I've done, but this is going to be a lil' more involved but fun.
are you with me so far or am I short circuiting LOL.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Seen one guy on the forum use one of the micro safety switches up under the seat on the post and put a knob on the cable. so everytime he hit the brake iit hit the switch, but then the wires......but the switch could be mounted anywhere ...........Curt

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
look'n into the micro switch, (at least the one i'm using) but the solder connections are so fragile it will have to be encased in a potting compound.
post pics soon.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
How about J B weld put some saran wrap over it and cove one half with J B after it cures do the same on the other side. end up with couple of cover ya can take off..............Curt

gooseneck

Nov 27, 2015
concord, ca. usa
Last edited: