Please Help Decide, thanks.

GoldenMotor.com

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Hello for a while now I've been considering getting some kind of motor kit for a future bike I'll be getting to get me to and from work, problem is, I don't have a lot of money and I'm no small guy,

I've considered getting a scooter but very few have a high enough max rider weight,

So far I've been looking at 49cc 2-stroke gas motor kits finding a, what I guess is rather cheap, motor kit, for $152.99 on Ebay, which as of now is probably going to be the one I get unless help here points me in another direction.

Lately though I've been looking at electric motor kits and wondering if they'd be a possibly good option, they appear to require less maintenance and have a lot less restraints on choice of bike

So I'm hoping I can get a little help with picking the right motor kit for me, here are my criterias,

With in a $250 budget, including any S&H to the USA.
Needs to take a 280lb + rider 15 miles to work and back.
Last at least a year or two.
Does not require any driver's license of any kind to operate.

Just to be clear, I'm well aware of that cheaper rarely means a good thing with these but I don't have the choice in the matter, also, the road to work, is a rather flat road with a slight incline uphill on the way back, I don't expect this motor kit to do all the work, just get me to work with out of shape legs that can still work a 8 hour shift.

In closing, thanks for all the advice and help, I look forward to reading every thing.

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
You could get a dax Gen IV engine for $129 and the rest of the kit parts off his site or just buy his F80 kit for $199 for the full kit...
Top left picture on his site... http://thatsdax.com/ , You really can't go wrong with his engines since he gets really nice ones with the bigger 40mm crank, upgraded bearings, upgraded hardware and all already installed.
I weigh around 220 and mine pushes me down the street really well.
If Dax is out of engines or kits, contact Motorbicycleracing in here, he sells high quality engines and kits as well, Both these sellers are top notch and their engines are the best China Girls you can get.

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
You could get a dax Gen IV engine for $129 and the rest of the kit parts off his site or just buy his F80 kit for $199 for the full kit...
Top left picture on his site... http://thatsdax.com/ , You really can't go wrong with his engines since he gets really nice ones with the bigger 40mm crank, upgraded bearings, upgraded hardware and all already installed.
I weigh around 220 and mine pushes me down the street really well.
If Dax is out of engines or kits, contact Motorbicycleracing in here, he sells high quality engines and kits as well, Both these sellers are top notch and their engines are the best China Girls you can get.
Ah thank you very much, I forgot to mention that I do not have a driver's driver's license and as far as I know anything more then 49cc requires a driver's license.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/pocketbike_factsheet.aspx

In Oregon your build must be considered one of the following a moped, motor assisted scooter or an electric bicycle. A moped can be self built but must meet moped requirements. A moped also requires a drivers license. A motor assisted scooter doesn't require a driver's license but does have a 35 cc limit. An electric assisted bicycle doesn't requires a driver's license. However if you have a suspended license you can't operate anything with an electric motor or gas engine on it.

Last edited:

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/pages/vehicle/pocketbike_factsheet.aspx

In Oregon your build must be considered one of the following a moped, motor assisted scooter or an electric bicycle. A moped can be self built but must meet moped requirements. A moped also requires a drivers license. A motor assisted scooter doesn't require a driver's license but does have a 35 cc limit. An electric assisted bicycle doesn't requires a driver's license. However if you have a suspended license you can't operate anything with an electric motor or gas engine on it.
Hm, I thought it was 49cc, well I just never got a driver's license, I am in Oregon.

or I thought it was that it can't be something that can go past 35mph

Heh, still some what hard to understand, wish they'd elaborate on it a bit.

or if someone could say, if this number is at or above this number when it comes to scooters, mopeds, electric assisted, gas assisted bikes, it requires a driver's license, that'd be a bit more helpful, plus not all sellers use the same terms so....

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Hm, I thought it was 49cc, well I just never got a driver's license, I am in Oregon.

or I thought it was that it can't be something that can go past 35mph
I could post the statutes. The site I posted is what the Oregon DMV puts out. They state the statutes being used if a person wants to look them up. From the looks of it if you never had a license then there's hope in the form of electrics (1000 watts) or 35 cc engines. However if you lose your driver's license they come down hard on you. However the OP budget is way to low for a practical build for his needs.

Last edited:

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
I could post the statutes. The site I posted is what the Oregon DMV puts out. They state the statutes being used if a person wants to look them up. From the looks of it if you never had a license then there's hope in the form of electrics or 35 cc engines. However if you lose your driver's license they come down hard on you.
I see, well 35cc, I don't think I've seen any gas motor kits for bikes that low, the lowest I've seen is 48cc actually, so when it comes to electric motors, is there a voltage or something that the motor has to be below to not require a dl?

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Staton inc and Golden Eagle Bicycle engine uses Honda and Robin Sabaru 4 stroke engines that size. However you're going to have nearly triple your budget for one of these kits ($600-700).

Last edited:

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Staton inc and Golden Eagle Bicycle engine uses Honda and Robin Sabaru 4 stroke engines that size. However you're going to have nearly triple your budget for one of these kits ($600-700).
Well sadly, my budget is the one thing I cannot change.

Crisscrow

Jun 12, 2014
OR
Well its sounding more and more that electric may be the direction I may have to go, its not something I've looked heavily into, in fact I know very little, seen some videos on how their installed but that's about it, not sure what I need to consider when shopping for such a kit, or where, lately I've just been shopping on Ebay.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Just remember the electric has a 1000 watt limit. You may get one of these pedal assist electric kits within in your budget but you must pedal. Otherwise an electric is going to cost as much as one of the 4 stroke kits.

Last edited:

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
From what I read in the Oregon law as long as the kit is a 1000 watts or less you don't need a DL. With such a low budget the quality of the kits to choose from is going to be very limited. Im sure you can post in the electric section for advice. Just be sure to read whether or not a battery is included in the kit. Because sometimes they aren't.

Last edited: