Broken engine mount

GoldenMotor.com

Sykottikk

May 19, 2011
Winter Springs
So I was dogging the heck out of my engine yesterday after I got it up and running just to see if everything would work right. I was basically thinking "If it works I'll have fun, if it doesn't, we'll see what kind of damage I did"

I noticed a rattling noise at higher speeds and couldn't figure it out. Today I decided to take a look and noticed that the front side (Not the side facing the rear tire) bracket was loose, so I go and tighten it down with a socket wrench.

Well as I'm tightening one side of it, the dang thing breaks! I'm talking about the part that the screw goes into before you tighten it with nuts. The part that's built into the engine block.. A.K.A. difficult to replace -.-

How would I go about tightening that down, since I can't screw it into the hole that was there now? Or how can I fix the hole?

I don't have pictures of it, I can get some if I need to. Tape won't work, nor will superglue, so there goes the two main parts of a man's repair arsenal :p

Sykottikk

May 19, 2011
Winter Springs
Turns out leaving ONE screw off is a terrible idea. Due to the vibrations from that ONE screw being off, I have now lost 2 of my clutch cover screws, the other bolt that was holding the front part of the engine down, one rear bolt, and I don't even know what else.

Horrible ride. It was fun while it lasted but I got about 6 miles from home and had to use my keys to pop the master link out of the chain so I could pedal it home.

More repairs to do tomorrow I guess.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
You might need a combination tap set and re-thread the hole to the very next size up which is 1/4 inch SAE threads , not metric.

You see, the Chinese have a baaaad habit of not tapping the holes to the bottom. They thread them enough to hold it together, no more. First thing I do with a new motor is tap the threads to the bottom of the hole. You could actually get away with tapping the stripped hole to Metric to the bottom and JB Weld the stud in but that's permanent. !/4" SAE means slightly larger and vastly superior quality nuts and bolts and studs can be used.

Hope this helps :)

Sykottikk

May 19, 2011
Winter Springs
Definitely helps. Thanks :) But that means more money that I have to spend on this dang thing -.-

Like I said the whole engine almost came off. ONE bolt was holding it on when I looked down and decided to stop. Didn't even notice the extra rattle over the cars passing me. I did notice a severe drop in power though, so now I know what to watch out for.

I guess I'll have to get a set. Darn.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Do a search by my username and you'll see how I repaired the front mount by using angle iron. You'll never have to worry about sheering front mount bolts again.