lights for your motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm thinking about making a poor boy light kit for these bike by making a moulded headlight out of fiberglass and a led taillight. I'll supply the headlight bucket and bulb and the led taillight. You would have to finish the headlight bucket housing and all wiring and the mounts and switch. Mainly to keep the cost down and all the parts I would have to buy retail and as you can see I will not be making much and spending a lot of time knocking out fiberglass headlight buckets. I have this set up on 2 of my bikes and they work very well but only work when the engine is running. Or I could do a series of posts on how to make your own which for me would run into being a pain . I did the posts on another forum and people wanted to use everything except what I spec out to do and use. I lost interest and quit answering the questions as the answers were already in the posts. here's a headlight but not in fiberglass.

Norman

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Re: lights for your bike?

Ive got a set of lights on order a white for the front and a red for the rear. When they come i will write up a discription of the wiring if I get them to work. It should be a very easy conversion. Im going to build mine just to be seen better. I wouldn't dare ride at night on this toy.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The one light came in not the set and it burned up on my first try at putting anywhere near operating voltage on it so I just tossed it. I'm going down to see about getting some old style trailer running lights for the bike next.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Checked on the trailer light nothing but 12volts. Now I'm looking into moped tail lights. It would be nice to buy something just to bolt on and run a wire. So Norman, what kind of led did you have wired to the bike or were you just using the aaa type.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just bought the bell led tail light. It cost about 9 bucks at wallymart. I managed to figure out how to get into the battery compartment and it works just fine. I'll have to let you know about battery consumption.

I wanted a tail light that was wired in but It isn't going to happen. I think I will wire in the front light. I kept the case for the LED I burned up. Im going to build one on the order of Normans tail light but for the front as an amber marker light.

I have a little 6volt sla battery. I think I'll use it and let the motor be a batter charger like a car generator. Even if it messes up the battery no big deal I have no other real use for it.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i use battery lights front and back. they seem to last plenty long however if i can find a bright head light that works of the white wire on my motorized bicycle i would love to get it

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
On my first bike i tried to run front and rear lights off the motor and found that the motor output was too small. These were conventional lights (not L.E.D.s) Each were 3 watts a piece, the friction generator type commonly found for bicycles. The tail light was not switched so it was continuously on. I could switch the headlight on once I had the engine RPM up but not at idle, it would draw too much from the motor. On my second bike (stretch) I opted for a hard wired rear light (3 watt) and a 9 volt battery powered front headlight. So far so good, haven't had to change the battery yet. Here in Florida it is the LAW to have a front and rear working light in order to ride at night. What is the wattage of the front headlight you are working on Norman?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I know its 6v and either 3w or less the bulb is what comes in a 6volt dry cell walmat flaslight the battery is the big square with the 2 spring lugs. anyway the bulb thats in one of those is what I use. and the taillight ia an off theshelf 12v led light sold at auto part stores. both work great even when idling. But its best to start with the light switch off. One bike has the taillight on all the time with the front switched and the other all lights are through a switch.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
does it light the road pretty good and i take it you get rid of the battery and wire to white wire? i have seen some nice chrome ones like this and they would look great on a motorized bicycle

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you got it no batteries. The lights work very good to great in my own opinion. My chest is puffed out as far as it will go I'm proud of my dumpster special lighting system..My buddy and I are making a mold for the headlight and soon will be making a fiberglass housing headlight for sale in unfinished glass and maybe in finished form but its going to be more cause I hate sanding. you will need to supply the mount which almost all bikes have front reflectors and this will bolt right up to it. This is work guys so hang in there if your looking for a system that works and NO batteries needed. anyone interested? I have a video on my home page of the lights but we need to work on the quality of the video the lights work great. I'm having a problem with the mold and working on it I the we will get the bugs out of it soon but I really hate sanding and that's what I'm doing as for price I really don't know but it should not require your first born.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
NO batteries is right works off the white wire you will have to do a little work make a mount and paint the headlight which will require sanding if you want. No chrome as fiberglass will not chrome as far as I know.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
$25.00 for the small light and that includes shipping to the lower 48 states.

Rufus is tied to the work bench and knocking out a different type.
Check it out on my home page.
Lord Vader

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Here is the new headlight on my bike just a little bigger than the first one kind of gives the bike a look of the old Harley Davidson headlight.
$35.00 and that covers shipping to the lower 48 states. You can get them in unpainted, black wrinkle, red wrinkle. With or with out the switch mounted which if mounted I mold them in place if you want to mold in your own switch I'll post a show and tell. The mounting is up to you and I can show you how to make special lugs to mount your light.

smokey

May 16, 2008
hey guys try using one of those bike generated light systems. just connect the wires that would go to the little generator to the white wire on your motor. if there are any problems check your ground.

CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I don't know what bulbs those little generator lights have in them. I know Norman did lots of R & D to find out the correct bulb that would put out plenty of light and not kill the engine. Bulb choice is critical to white wire lighting. One that draws to much kills the engine and one that doesn't draw enough burns out quickly........................

Jman

Apr 13, 2008
newcastle .Australia
hey not sure how to start a thread on lights so here is my fix. i use a cheap dynamo/generater style front and rear on the front i replace the 6v 3 watt globe with a LED upgrade for maglight torch ($22) which is DC so i wired in a voltage converter($1) and a regulator($1) to stop flutter. the voltage draw on the LED is .05 watt so the engine starts perfect even when cold and there is no performance difference at all. its bright white, looks sweet and cheap.FYI the voltage draw on the 6v 3 watt filliment globe was .55 volt. any electronics shop will be able to sort you out with gear and show you how to wire it up. this really does solve this problem mine has been running sweet