Cleaning out a new gas tank?

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I'm on my first build so hope this isn't a stupid question. heh heh

Anyways, do the chinese engine kits come with any anti-rust or other coatings inside the tanks that need or should be cleaned out? I have the PK80 kit and there's no rust inside the tank but when I stick my fingers inside and feel around I can feel a somewhat oily coating, sort of like old oil that has dried out over time time.

I have a big bottle of Duplicolor Automotive Grease, Tar & Wax Remover that I was planning to pour into the tank, swish around and let sit for a few days, then drain. I've read on other threads suggestions of putting in washers or some other media inside the tank and rattling it to clean the inside but I want to avoid that since I've already painted the outside of the tank to match my frame and don't want the paint chipping from the hundreds of small impacts the washers would make against the inside of the tank walls.

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
Not a stupid question at all! I've had real tank rust truble with a bike that was stored a long time. If I knew the best way to clean & put a coating inside a new tank, I would surly do it! The only tank coatings I've seen are cost prohibvetive for me. there must be something cheap that we can swish around in the tank to keep it from rusting.
ANYBODY KNOW?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not a stupid question at all! I've had real tank rust truble with a bike that was stored a long time. If I knew the best way to clean & put a coating inside a new tank, I would surly do it! The only tank coatings I've seen are cost prohibvetive for me. there must be something cheap that we can swish around in the tank to keep it from rusting.
ANYBODY KNOW?

Yes, gas and oil mix.
Just keep your tank reasonably full and stop worrying.